TURKEY: Tesco in talks over Turkish arm
Tesco Kipa, the Turkish unit of UK retailer Tesco, has today (24 February) confirmed its parent is in talks over possible options for the future of the business.
"Tesco Plc is in the early stages of negotiations with different companies over different options," Tesco Kipa, which is listed in Turkey, said in a statement to the Borsa Istanbul.
The announcement followed speculation late last week that Tesco was weighing up the options for its Turkish business.
Sales have been falling and some in the City said Tesco, after exiting Japan and the US, as well as selling control of its Chinese business, could look at a transaction for its Turkish arm.
The Financial Times said on Friday (21 February) Tesco had held talks with private-equity firm BC Partners, majority owner of Turkish chain Migros Ticaret, about combining their assets.
"We don't comment on rumour or speculation," a Tesco spokesperson told just-style late on Friday.
In another statement to the Borsa Istanbul this morning, Migros Ticaret, responding to the speculation on Friday, said: "As a private-equity company, BC Partners periodically assesses alternatives for all its existing investments, including Migros, as part of the normal flow of its activities."
One of the biggest challenges - and opportunities - facing the apparel industry in 2015 is how best to embrace the omni-channel retail model, improve the shopping experience, and respond with new supp...
Tesco PLC (TSCO) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by GlobalData...
Apparel products sold by Tesco are expected to benefit from strengthening of the private label F&F and the expanding space dedicated to apparel in hypermarkets. The Cherokee brand is no longer present...
Sales of grocery products through internet retailing and the online presence of Hungary’s grocery retailers remained limited for much of the review period, with G’Roby the only significant grocery ret...
Retail value sales of apparel and footwear specialist retailers registered a relatively dynamic performance with growth of 3% in 2014. Although Czech consumers were careful with their money due to the...
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- COMMENT: Skills or new technology?
- UK reshoring hub hit by sweatshop claims
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- 30% of Adidas cotton from sustainable sources
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- Benetton to embark on living wage roadmap
- Sri Lanka and Bangladesh FTA talks underway
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide