Tesco store closures to hit 2,000 jobs
Around 2,000 jobs will be affected by the Tesco store closures
Retail behemoth Tesco has revealed the locations of the 43 unprofitable stores it is closing in the UK as part of CEO Dave Lewis's turnaround plan, putting 2,000 jobs at risk.
The retailer is closing 30 convenience stores – 18 Express outlets and 12 inner-city Metro shops – in addition to seven superstores and six of its 12 non-food ventures: Homeplus. The Express and Home Plus stores will close on 15 March with the Tesco Metros and Superstores closing on 4 April.
Superstore closures are in Doncaster and Chatham, while the DIY and homeware Homeplus closures include stores in Edinburgh and Southampton.
Lewis said the decision to close the stores was an “exceptionally difficult one”, given the number of employees, customers and communities it will affect.
“In January I announced that our performance as a business has fallen significantly short of where we would want it to be and that to protect the future of the business in the UK we would close 43 unprofitable stores.
“Our priority is to explain what this announcement means for our colleagues and wherever possible, offer them alternative roles with Tesco. We will continue to serve our customers through other local stores and our dotcom service.”
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Among the most-read analysis articles on just-style in 2015 were stories relating to the rapid growth of Myanmar's garment sector, the impact of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade agreemen...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report