ETHIOPIA: Tesco works to raise clothing factory conditions
British retailer Tesco is making efforts to raise working conditions and ethical standards in Ethiopia's textile industry before it begins sourcing garments from the Horn of Africa country.
"We think the garment industry in Ethiopia has great potential - both to produce good quality clothing for our customers and to create jobs and economic growth for the country," a Tesco spokesperson told just-style.
"That's why we've been working closely with suppliers and the government there to develop a strong, ethical factory base for the future."
Tesco last month held training workshops in Ethiopia on industry-related ethical issues, and has started dispatching auditors to the country's textile and clothing factories to assess ethical performance.
The company has stopped sourcing garments from a number of factories in Bangladesh over safety concerns highlighted following the collapse of the Rana Plaza building in April.
Meanwhile, Yoseph Assefa, chief technical adviser for the International Labour Organization (ILO) in Africa, is convinced that working conditions in Ethiopia's textile industry are better than in Bangladesh.
"There is very good quality control in Ethiopia's textile sector due to a high level of government inspection. By my assessment the working conditions in Ethiopia's textile sector are higher than the conditions in Bangladesh," he told just-style.
Primark in the UK remains its most important market, accounting for over 70% of the company’s overall sales. Primark has established itself as one of the fastest-growing value retailers, offering a wi...
After a highly proactive start to 2013 with four new outlet openings, Primark spent the second half of 2013 consolidating on its strong position in apparel and footwear specialist retailers. The compa...
Cone Denim has agreed a new R&D collaboration with DSM Dyneema, which it says opens up tremendous opportunities for its expanding line of performance denims....
Apparel & Non-Apparel Manufacturing in France industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The prof...
Down supplier and processor Allied Feather & Down has unveiled a new consumer tracing resource called Track My Down....
- Enthusiasm for tech in outdoor apparel on rise
- 2015: Welcome to the new fashion consumer
- New American Apparel CEO sees solid platform
- Outlook 2015: What's happening with sourcing?
- George at Asda on responsible retail journey
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- Kanati pulls production out of Pakistan
- Gap to close Piperlime division
- Hanesbrands invests $1.5m in US hosiery plant
- US takes final step to WTO TFA implementation
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead