ETHIOPIA: Tesco works to raise clothing factory conditions
British retailer Tesco is making efforts to raise working conditions and ethical standards in Ethiopia's textile industry before it begins sourcing garments from the Horn of Africa country.
"We think the garment industry in Ethiopia has great potential - both to produce good quality clothing for our customers and to create jobs and economic growth for the country," a Tesco spokesperson told just-style.
"That's why we've been working closely with suppliers and the government there to develop a strong, ethical factory base for the future."
Tesco last month held training workshops in Ethiopia on industry-related ethical issues, and has started dispatching auditors to the country's textile and clothing factories to assess ethical performance.
The company has stopped sourcing garments from a number of factories in Bangladesh over safety concerns highlighted following the collapse of the Rana Plaza building in April.
Meanwhile, Yoseph Assefa, chief technical adviser for the International Labour Organization (ILO) in Africa, is convinced that working conditions in Ethiopia's textile industry are better than in Bangladesh.
"There is very good quality control in Ethiopia's textile sector due to a high level of government inspection. By my assessment the working conditions in Ethiopia's textile sector are higher than the conditions in Bangladesh," he told just-style.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
No other guide covers the complete retail picture like this exciting new volume. The global retail industry is in the midst of vast changes. Malls are being redesigned in the U.S., while new mall co...
- The difference between compliance and safety?
- Central America must make better use of DR-CAFTA
- How M&S plans to revamp its clothing business
- Yarn-forward rules weigh on Vietnam TPP potential
- Is China really going through a slump?
- US Q1 in brief – Guess, Burlington Stores, Sears
- Gap accused of rights violations in supply chain
- BHS supplier Courtaulds Brands in administration
- Nike management changes to drive innovation
- Social responsibility key to winning millennials
- Victoria's Secret Stores, Inc.: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel Accessories in Hong Kong, China
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)
- Practical Price Negotiation for Apparel Sourcing Professionals