UK: Tests Prove Antimicrobial Benefits
Positioned as a new treatment to help keep fabrics pure, clean and fresh, Purista, the branded antimicrobial treatment from Avecia Protection and Hygiene, is already generating interest from manufacturers looking to create new or enhance existing products and brands.
Now, new research conducted by the company shows that towels treated with Purista will not only remain fresher between washes, but also offer users the possibility of reducing wash frequency, so saving time, energy and water.
In the tests at Avecia's research facilities in Manchester, towels were treated with Purista, washed 50 times at 50ºC using a standard reference detergent and tumble-dried after each wash. AATCC 100 antibacterial tests highlighted that even after 50 washes and dries, Purista was still effective at controlling the bacterial growth that leads to stale odours.
These results also have significant implications for modern laundering practices which favour water-saving rinse cycles and lower washing temperatures - both of which allow higher levels of bacteria to survive on fabrics. Any overloading of the washing machine also reduces effectiveness, favouring bacterial survival.
The laboratory trials were supported by more qualitative research undertaken amongst gym members, who kept damp towels in sports bags for several days. Although a strong odour would normally develop after around 72 hours, some users confirmed that their towels still smelled clean after 2-3 weeks.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Purista, the antimicrobial treatment for clothing, has responded to the demands among consumers and manufacturers to develop a freshness treatment for use on synthetic fibres....
Textile treatment Purista has secured acceptance from the US Environmental Protection Agency, opening the door to further growth in the US clothing and home textiles sectors....
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report