PAKISTAN: Textile and clothing exports down 9.4%
Pakistan's textile and clothing exports fell by 9.4% to US$9.02bn in the first nine months of the current fiscal year.
According to the latest data released by the country's Federal Bureau of Statistics (FBS), the export value of cotton yarn dropped 26% to US$1.26bn, knitted garments fell 12% to US$1.47bn, and woven garments were down 2% to US$1.20bn.
Footwear exports dropped 4.34% to US$76m in the period from July to March.
The volume of textile and clothing exports fell by 35-40%, according to Mohsin Aziz, chairman of the All Pakistan Textile Mills Association (APTMA).
He told just-style that if the situation continues it could jeopardise export opportunities created by a World Trade Organization (WTO) decision earlier this year to give 75 Pakistani products duty-free access to European Union (EU) markets for two years.
Aziz also urged the government to implement a decision by the president to provide uninterrupted gas and electricity supplies to the textile industry.
Gohar Ejaz, group leader of APTMA, also believes the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) is compromising industry growth by keeping interests rate high. This, coupled with double- digit inflation, has been hitting exports as well as the industry's ability to create jobs.
And Ijaz Khokhar, chief co-coordinator of the Pakistan Readymade Garments Manufacturers and Exporters Association (PRGMEA), told just-style that garment makers are unable to ship their consignments to the EU and US on time because of industry-wide power cuts.
Textiles are Pakistan's largest export earner, contributing more than 55% of the county's total export receipts. Falling textile exports therefore pose significant economic challenges to the government.
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- Gap impressed with supply chain improvements
- Cambodia's future outsourcing prospects uncertain
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Cambodia garment industry hit with fresh strikes
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Russia threatens ban on western apparel imports
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Opportunities and Applications for Digital Textile Printing
- Colombia - ISA Country Report