PAKISTAN: Textile and clothing exports down 9.4%
Pakistan's textile and clothing exports fell by 9.4% to US$9.02bn in the first nine months of the current fiscal year.
According to the latest data released by the country's Federal Bureau of Statistics (FBS), the export value of cotton yarn dropped 26% to US$1.26bn, knitted garments fell 12% to US$1.47bn, and woven garments were down 2% to US$1.20bn.
Footwear exports dropped 4.34% to US$76m in the period from July to March.
The volume of textile and clothing exports fell by 35-40%, according to Mohsin Aziz, chairman of the All Pakistan Textile Mills Association (APTMA).
He told just-style that if the situation continues it could jeopardise export opportunities created by a World Trade Organization (WTO) decision earlier this year to give 75 Pakistani products duty-free access to European Union (EU) markets for two years.
Aziz also urged the government to implement a decision by the president to provide uninterrupted gas and electricity supplies to the textile industry.
Gohar Ejaz, group leader of APTMA, also believes the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) is compromising industry growth by keeping interests rate high. This, coupled with double- digit inflation, has been hitting exports as well as the industry's ability to create jobs.
And Ijaz Khokhar, chief co-coordinator of the Pakistan Readymade Garments Manufacturers and Exporters Association (PRGMEA), told just-style that garment makers are unable to ship their consignments to the EU and US on time because of industry-wide power cuts.
Textiles are Pakistan's largest export earner, contributing more than 55% of the county's total export receipts. Falling textile exports therefore pose significant economic challenges to the government.
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- “Made in USA” company rapped for deceptive claims
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change