PAKISTAN: Textile and clothing exports up 3% in Q1
Pakistan's textile and clothing exports increased by 3% to US$3.27bn during the first quarter of the current fiscal year, thanks to higher demand from Europe and the United States.
According to data released by the Pakistan's Federal Bureau of Statistics, exports of woven ready-made garments went up by 10% to $448m in the three months from July through September. The fiscal year 2013 runs from July 2012 to June 2013.
Exports of cotton yarn surged by 39% to $531m, and cotton fabrics grew by 5% to $670m. Exports of knitted garments, however, dropped by 10% to $555m during the period.
Footwear exports fell 10% to US$25m, against $27m last year. The drop was led by a 61% fall in exports of canvas footwear and a decline of 12% in leather footwear.
A spokesperson from the All Pakistan Textile Mills Association (APTMA) told just-style that a waiver in EU import duties and improved domestic energy supplies have been supporting the growth in shipments.
Ejaz Khokhar, former chairman of the Readymade Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association (PRGMEA), added that clothing makers in Pakistan anticipate the EU's GSP+ facility in 2014 could boost textile and clothing exports by $1bn in one year.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Retailers warned of high volatility in Brexit wake
- Brexit uncertainty over pending EU trade deals
- Online fabric platform to "revolutionise" buying
- Alliance cuts ties with three more factories
- Uniqlo said to be scaling back US expansion
- Better Work Vietnam launches labour law mobile app
- UK must act with urgency to cut Brexit uncertainty
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Denmark
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts