PAKISTAN: Textile and clothing exports up 3% in Q1
Pakistan's textile and clothing exports increased by 3% to US$3.27bn during the first quarter of the current fiscal year, thanks to higher demand from Europe and the United States.
According to data released by the Pakistan's Federal Bureau of Statistics, exports of woven ready-made garments went up by 10% to $448m in the three months from July through September. The fiscal year 2013 runs from July 2012 to June 2013.
Exports of cotton yarn surged by 39% to $531m, and cotton fabrics grew by 5% to $670m. Exports of knitted garments, however, dropped by 10% to $555m during the period.
Footwear exports fell 10% to US$25m, against $27m last year. The drop was led by a 61% fall in exports of canvas footwear and a decline of 12% in leather footwear.
A spokesperson from the All Pakistan Textile Mills Association (APTMA) told just-style that a waiver in EU import duties and improved domestic energy supplies have been supporting the growth in shipments.
Ejaz Khokhar, former chairman of the Readymade Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association (PRGMEA), added that clothing makers in Pakistan anticipate the EU's GSP+ facility in 2014 could boost textile and clothing exports by $1bn in one year.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Supply chains under pressure as Black Friday looms
- Jordan garment sector strong amid regional unrest
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Global clothing and footwear trade to drop by 1.5%
- Adidas has greenest textile supply chain in China
- Cambodia living wage campaign kicks off
- New Balance launches first 3D printed running shoe
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Technical Textile Markets: Product Developments and Innovations - 2nd Quarter 2015