PAKISTAN: Textile and clothing exports up 3% in Q1
Pakistan's textile and clothing exports increased by 3% to US$3.27bn during the first quarter of the current fiscal year, thanks to higher demand from Europe and the United States.
According to data released by the Pakistan's Federal Bureau of Statistics, exports of woven ready-made garments went up by 10% to $448m in the three months from July through September. The fiscal year 2013 runs from July 2012 to June 2013.
Exports of cotton yarn surged by 39% to $531m, and cotton fabrics grew by 5% to $670m. Exports of knitted garments, however, dropped by 10% to $555m during the period.
Footwear exports fell 10% to US$25m, against $27m last year. The drop was led by a 61% fall in exports of canvas footwear and a decline of 12% in leather footwear.
A spokesperson from the All Pakistan Textile Mills Association (APTMA) told just-style that a waiver in EU import duties and improved domestic energy supplies have been supporting the growth in shipments.
Ejaz Khokhar, former chairman of the Readymade Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association (PRGMEA), added that clothing makers in Pakistan anticipate the EU's GSP+ facility in 2014 could boost textile and clothing exports by $1bn in one year.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- Euro decline weighs on Turkish clothing industry
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- Will Amazon take over the US apparel market?
- US groups seek workable apparel provisions in TPP
- Metallised thread for "revolutionary" RFID tag
- Manufacturing in China falls to 15-month low
- VF Corp ups guidance on "strong" Q2
- UK retailers to answer over human trafficking
- Eliminating risk tops sustainability agenda
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020