PAKISTAN: Textile and clothing exports up 3% in Q1
Pakistan's textile and clothing exports increased by 3% to US$3.27bn during the first quarter of the current fiscal year, thanks to higher demand from Europe and the United States.
According to data released by the Pakistan's Federal Bureau of Statistics, exports of woven ready-made garments went up by 10% to $448m in the three months from July through September. The fiscal year 2013 runs from July 2012 to June 2013.
Exports of cotton yarn surged by 39% to $531m, and cotton fabrics grew by 5% to $670m. Exports of knitted garments, however, dropped by 10% to $555m during the period.
Footwear exports fell 10% to US$25m, against $27m last year. The drop was led by a 61% fall in exports of canvas footwear and a decline of 12% in leather footwear.
A spokesperson from the All Pakistan Textile Mills Association (APTMA) told just-style that a waiver in EU import duties and improved domestic energy supplies have been supporting the growth in shipments.
Ejaz Khokhar, former chairman of the Readymade Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association (PRGMEA), added that clothing makers in Pakistan anticipate the EU's GSP+ facility in 2014 could boost textile and clothing exports by $1bn in one year.
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Under Armour "resonating strongly" with consumers
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details