PAKISTAN: Textile and clothing exports up 8% in H1
Pakistan's textile and clothing exports grew 8% to US$6.9bn in the first half of the current fiscal year, helped by improved availability of yarns and fabrics for domestic garment makers.
According to the latest data released the country's bureau of statistics, exports of woven ready-made garments were up by 7.9% to US$936m in the period from July to December, while knitted garments rose 5.4% to US$1.12bn.
Exports of cotton cloth climbed 6% to US$1.4bn, and synthetic textile items jumped 25% to US$203m. Shipments of cotton yarns, however, were down 3% to US$1bn, due mainly to a drop in exports to China.
Footwear exports surged by 5.9% to US$52m, led by a 12% rise in exports of leather footwear to US$44m during the period.
SM Tanveer, chairman of the All Pakistan Textile Mills Association (APTMA) Punjab chapter, told just-style that export growth was due to improved energy supplies to the textile industry in the province of Punjab, where more than 70% of the textile industry is located.
The country's textile and clothing exports could grow even more rapidly in the coming months following its duty-free access to the EU market under the GSP+ scheme from 1 January 2014.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Will Amazon take over the US apparel market?
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- US groups seek workable apparel provisions in TPP
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- Pakistan textile mills fear rash of closures
- VF Corp ups guidance on "strong" Q2
- Under Armour secures Germany and Austria deals
- Metallised thread for "revolutionary" RFID tag
- Manufacturing in China falls to 15-month low
- Millennials "changing the game" for hosiery
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020