COLOMBIA: Textile and clothing exports up 8% last year
The latest figures issued by the Colombian government show that in 2011, the country's exports of textiles and clothing totalled almost US$1.41bn, an increase of 8% on the previous year.
Exports to the EU were up 13.6%, reaching close to EUR114m in value.
Colombian textile and clothing producers are looking to a Free Trade Treaty (FTT) signed with the EU and which takes effect this autumn, to drive further growth.
"In order to do this, Colombian clothing prices have to remain competitive because local firms don't want to take the risk of losing market share with the arrival
of strong competition, particularly from Asia," said Camilo Martinez, the director of the Colombian export agency, Proexport Colombia.
Colombia has an existing FTT with the US too.
Estimates put the number of garment makers in Colombia at 10,000, the majority operating from value-added workshops equipped with between 20 and 60
Weak consumer spending, difficulties in securing credit, competition from China and the Far East resulted in factory closures and subsequent layoffs in 2012. But ramping up labour and sustainability s...
Since when did garment making become a matter of life and death? And why, despite the huge amounts of time, effort and resources that have gone into corporate social responsibility, factory inspection...
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' December 2012 sales results....
Among the industry executives who spoke with just-style this year were Ranjan Mahtani, CEO of Epic Group; Henry Tan, CEO of Luen Thai Holdings; Andrew Lo, CEO of Crystal Group; and Marks & Spencer's K...
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' November 2012 sales results....
The CEO of apparel giant PVH has backed Warnaco's plans to turn around the Calvin Klein Jeans and underwear businesses, a company it is set to take over next year in a deal worth US$2.9bn....
Activists are to stage candlelight vigils at Edinburgh Woollen Mill stores across the UK this week, urging the retailer to pay compensation to the victims and families of those killed and injured in t...
- Africa courts clothing and textile investment
- Li & Fung capital helps PLM firm expand into Asia
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Bangladesh Accord calls on firms for more funding
- The current state of play in world garment exports
- Adidas investigating Cambodia faintings
- Footwear “facing increased compliance challenges"
- Matalan defends its position on Bangladesh
- Arrests made at US REI/North Face protests
- North Face commits to 100% recycled polyester
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report