COLOMBIA: Textile and clothing exports up 8% last year
The latest figures issued by the Colombian government show that in 2011, the country's exports of textiles and clothing totalled almost US$1.41bn, an increase of 8% on the previous year.
Exports to the EU were up 13.6%, reaching close to EUR114m in value.
Colombian textile and clothing producers are looking to a Free Trade Treaty (FTT) signed with the EU and which takes effect this autumn, to drive further growth.
"In order to do this, Colombian clothing prices have to remain competitive because local firms don't want to take the risk of losing market share with the arrival
of strong competition, particularly from Asia," said Camilo Martinez, the director of the Colombian export agency, Proexport Colombia.
Colombia has an existing FTT with the US too.
Estimates put the number of garment makers in Colombia at 10,000, the majority operating from value-added workshops equipped with between 20 and 60
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
Weak consumer spending, difficulties in securing credit, competition from China and the Far East resulted in factory closures and subsequent layoffs in 2012. But ramping up labour and sustainability s...
Since when did garment making become a matter of life and death? And why, despite the huge amounts of time, effort and resources that have gone into corporate social responsibility, factory inspection...
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' December 2012 sales results....
Among the industry executives who spoke with just-style this year were Ranjan Mahtani, CEO of Epic Group; Henry Tan, CEO of Luen Thai Holdings; Andrew Lo, CEO of Crystal Group; and Marks & Spencer's K...
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' November 2012 sales results....
The CEO of apparel giant PVH has backed Warnaco's plans to turn around the Calvin Klein Jeans and underwear businesses, a company it is set to take over next year in a deal worth US$2.9bn....
Activists are to stage candlelight vigils at Edinburgh Woollen Mill stores across the UK this week, urging the retailer to pay compensation to the victims and families of those killed and injured in t...
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- Sir Philip Green blamed for the collapse of BHS
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Brexit Trade Focus – How a CANZ-UK FTA stacks up
- Brexit blow to global apparel industry confidence
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Teijin launches polyester hook-and-loop fastener
- New Tencel fibre based on cotton waste fabrics
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape