SRI LANKA: Textile and garment exports jump in March
Sri Lanka's textile and garment exports increased 32.6% in March
Sri Lanka's textile and garment exports grew at a higher rate in March than they did during the whole of the first quarter, new figures have revealed.
According to the Economic Research Department at the country's Central Bank, textile and garment exports were up 32.6% to US$456.7m in March, compared to $344.5m in the same period a year ago, reflecting "significant increases in exports to both traditional and non-traditional markets".
In addition, imports of textile and textile articles jumped 40% to $182.1m from $130.1m in the same month last year. Overall imports of non-food consumer goods increased by 27.3%, helped by a 56.6% increase in clothing and accessories imports.
During the first three months of the year, the country's textile and garment exports reached $1.26bn, up 20.5% from $1.05bn the year before. Import expenditure on textile and textile articles rose 6.4% to $528.2m from $496.2m last year.
The news comes after Sri Lanka's textiles and garment exports rose 6.6% in February, and were up 14.6% to $808.2m for the two-month period from January to February.
In 2013, textile and garment exports from Sri Lanka increased 13% to $4.508bn, while textile imports dipped 9.7% to $2.045bn.
- India's labour law reforms edge a step closer
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- Alliance and Accord urged to harmonise efforts
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- Under Armour "resonating strongly" with consumers
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Ultrasonic execs disappear along with company cash
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details