SRI LANKA: Textile and garment exports jump in March
Sri Lanka's textile and garment exports increased 32.6% in March
Sri Lanka's textile and garment exports grew at a higher rate in March than they did during the whole of the first quarter, new figures have revealed.
According to the Economic Research Department at the country's Central Bank, textile and garment exports were up 32.6% to US$456.7m in March, compared to $344.5m in the same period a year ago, reflecting "significant increases in exports to both traditional and non-traditional markets".
In addition, imports of textile and textile articles jumped 40% to $182.1m from $130.1m in the same month last year. Overall imports of non-food consumer goods increased by 27.3%, helped by a 56.6% increase in clothing and accessories imports.
During the first three months of the year, the country's textile and garment exports reached $1.26bn, up 20.5% from $1.05bn the year before. Import expenditure on textile and textile articles rose 6.4% to $528.2m from $496.2m last year.
The news comes after Sri Lanka's textiles and garment exports rose 6.6% in February, and were up 14.6% to $808.2m for the two-month period from January to February.
In 2013, textile and garment exports from Sri Lanka increased 13% to $4.508bn, while textile imports dipped 9.7% to $2.045bn.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Why Inditex is "clear winner" in fast fashion
- Brexit blow to global apparel industry confidence
- Sir Philip Green blamed for the collapse of BHS
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- North Face has holistic view on harmful chemicals
- US Q2 in brief - Columbia Sportswear, Rocky Brands
- Vietnam mulls wage freeze to boost competitiveness
- Teijin launches polyester hook-and-loop fastener
- Ananta Group hits back at Bangladesh union claims
- LVMH to sell Donna Karan to G-III for US$650m
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020