SRI LANKA: Textile and garment exports jump in March
Sri Lanka's textile and garment exports increased 32.6% in March
Sri Lanka's textile and garment exports grew at a higher rate in March than they did during the whole of the first quarter, new figures have revealed.
According to the Economic Research Department at the country's Central Bank, textile and garment exports were up 32.6% to US$456.7m in March, compared to $344.5m in the same period a year ago, reflecting "significant increases in exports to both traditional and non-traditional markets".
In addition, imports of textile and textile articles jumped 40% to $182.1m from $130.1m in the same month last year. Overall imports of non-food consumer goods increased by 27.3%, helped by a 56.6% increase in clothing and accessories imports.
During the first three months of the year, the country's textile and garment exports reached $1.26bn, up 20.5% from $1.05bn the year before. Import expenditure on textile and textile articles rose 6.4% to $528.2m from $496.2m last year.
The news comes after Sri Lanka's textiles and garment exports rose 6.6% in February, and were up 14.6% to $808.2m for the two-month period from January to February.
In 2013, textile and garment exports from Sri Lanka increased 13% to $4.508bn, while textile imports dipped 9.7% to $2.045bn.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Supply chain takeaways from Sourcing at MAGIC
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- Cotton supply chain transparency an ongoing issue
- Denim and athleisure top picks for back-to-school
- No simple way to be sustainable, says SAC CEO
- H&M takes action over Myanmar child labour breach
- Vietnam garment industry calls for strategy update
- US Q2 in brief - Burlington Stores, Destination XL
- Zara USA faces US$5m deceptive pricing lawsuit
- EU clothing imports from China continue to plunge
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory