SRI LANKA: Textile and garment exports jump in March
Sri Lanka's textile and garment exports increased 32.6% in March
Sri Lanka's textile and garment exports grew at a higher rate in March than they did during the whole of the first quarter, new figures have revealed.
According to the Economic Research Department at the country's Central Bank, textile and garment exports were up 32.6% to US$456.7m in March, compared to $344.5m in the same period a year ago, reflecting "significant increases in exports to both traditional and non-traditional markets".
In addition, imports of textile and textile articles jumped 40% to $182.1m from $130.1m in the same month last year. Overall imports of non-food consumer goods increased by 27.3%, helped by a 56.6% increase in clothing and accessories imports.
During the first three months of the year, the country's textile and garment exports reached $1.26bn, up 20.5% from $1.05bn the year before. Import expenditure on textile and textile articles rose 6.4% to $528.2m from $496.2m last year.
The news comes after Sri Lanka's textiles and garment exports rose 6.6% in February, and were up 14.6% to $808.2m for the two-month period from January to February.
In 2013, textile and garment exports from Sri Lanka increased 13% to $4.508bn, while textile imports dipped 9.7% to $2.045bn.
- Nike reaffirms US production commitment
- Levi Strauss raises the bar on sustainability
- Gap and H&M back Myanmar path to labour reform
- H&M faces margin pressure on dollar impact
- Can the Gap brand reclaim its iconic status?
- Myanmar minimum wage set at US$3.2 per day
- Far Eastern to invest $323m in Vietnam textile hub
- China cotton stockpile auction may shake up market
- Fast Retailing supplier continues strike talks
- Over 8,000 children in Delhi garment industry
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: The EU - May 2015
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015