SRI LANKA: Textile and garment exports jump in March
Sri Lanka's textile and garment exports increased 32.6% in March
Sri Lanka's textile and garment exports grew at a higher rate in March than they did during the whole of the first quarter, new figures have revealed.
According to the Economic Research Department at the country's Central Bank, textile and garment exports were up 32.6% to US$456.7m in March, compared to $344.5m in the same period a year ago, reflecting "significant increases in exports to both traditional and non-traditional markets".
In addition, imports of textile and textile articles jumped 40% to $182.1m from $130.1m in the same month last year. Overall imports of non-food consumer goods increased by 27.3%, helped by a 56.6% increase in clothing and accessories imports.
During the first three months of the year, the country's textile and garment exports reached $1.26bn, up 20.5% from $1.05bn the year before. Import expenditure on textile and textile articles rose 6.4% to $528.2m from $496.2m last year.
The news comes after Sri Lanka's textiles and garment exports rose 6.6% in February, and were up 14.6% to $808.2m for the two-month period from January to February.
In 2013, textile and garment exports from Sri Lanka increased 13% to $4.508bn, while textile imports dipped 9.7% to $2.045bn.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- Gap bullish on China growth opportunities
- US Q2 in brief: J Crew, Aeropostale, Bebe Stores
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Gap restructuring weighs on Q2 as profit falls 34%
- Ralph Lauren debuts biometic smart shirt
- China market woes could hit consumer spending
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019