VIETNAM: Textile and garment exports soared 19% in 2013
Vietnam's textile and garment exports surged by 19% in 2013 - exceeding the $20bn mark for the first time and ensuring the sector remains the country's largest foreign currency earner.
Exports for the year reached $20.4bn - beating the record $17.1bn achieved in 2012.
Despite continuing difficulties in major consumer markets, exports to the US increased by 14%, with gains also seen in the EU (+9%), Japan (+20%), and South Korea (+43%).
Of this figure, exports from the Vietnam National Textile and Apparel Group (Vinatex) accounted for $2.9bn, an increase of 12% on the previous year.
Vinatex is one of Asia's largest garment groups, consisting of almost 120 subsidiaries and joint ventures across the entire textile manufacturing industry.
An update from the group said it has implemented 42 projects with a total investment of VND6,360bn (US$301.7m), mainly focusing on the fibre and textile sectors, to prepare for upcoming free trade agreements, especially the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP). Under this pact, garments made from yarn spun in a partner country such as Vietnam would have duty-free access to the US.
In its most recent development, Vinatex plans to start construction of a new VND2.2 trillion (US$104m) textile and garment complex at the end of the first quarter of 2014.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
Vietnam's garment and textile export turnover is likely to reach US$24.5bn in 2014, an increase of over 19% on last year - and the largest rise in three years - new figures show....
Vietnam's textile and garment exports are continuing to surge as both producers and buyers diversify their supply chains....
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- Gap bullish on China growth opportunities
- US Q2 in brief: Guess, PVH, Abercrombie & Fitch
- Gap restructuring weighs on Q2 as profit falls 34%
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Ralph Lauren debuts biometic smart shirt
- China market woes could hit consumer spending
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019