VIETNAM: Textile and garment exports soared 19% in 2013
Vietnam's textile and garment exports surged by 19% in 2013 - exceeding the $20bn mark for the first time and ensuring the sector remains the country's largest foreign currency earner.
Exports for the year reached $20.4bn - beating the record $17.1bn achieved in 2012.
Despite continuing difficulties in major consumer markets, exports to the US increased by 14%, with gains also seen in the EU (+9%), Japan (+20%), and South Korea (+43%).
Of this figure, exports from the Vietnam National Textile and Apparel Group (Vinatex) accounted for $2.9bn, an increase of 12% on the previous year.
Vinatex is one of Asia's largest garment groups, consisting of almost 120 subsidiaries and joint ventures across the entire textile manufacturing industry.
An update from the group said it has implemented 42 projects with a total investment of VND6,360bn (US$301.7m), mainly focusing on the fibre and textile sectors, to prepare for upcoming free trade agreements, especially the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP). Under this pact, garments made from yarn spun in a partner country such as Vietnam would have duty-free access to the US.
In its most recent development, Vinatex plans to start construction of a new VND2.2 trillion (US$104m) textile and garment complex at the end of the first quarter of 2014.
The Vietnam National Textile and Garment Group (Vinatex) is hoping a planned initial public offering will help boost earnings and allow it to invest further in the business....
Vietnam has become the second largest source of foreign textiles and clothing in the US market and has established a strong presence in the Japanese and European markets, especially for clothing. Also...
The following is a round-up of apparel and footwear news from the world's local media. just-style has not checked these stories so cannot guarantee their accuracy....
Apparel specialist retailers witnessed a current value decline of 6% from 2011 to reach sales of below VND23 trillion in 2012. Decline was due to the economic slowdown. In 2012, the Vietnamese economy...
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- More licensing and less M&A for Global Brands
- Gap impressed with supply chain improvements
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Russia threatens ban on western apparel imports
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report