TUNISIA: Textile and garment exports up 6% in 2013
Exports of textiles and garments from Tunisia grew by 6% in 2013 on the previous year totalling just over TND5.2bn (US$3.26bn).
According to figures from customs and the country's export agency, exports of garments increased by 7%, with jeans (+13.4%) and lingerie/swimwear (+10.4 %) recording the strongest growth.
Exports to France, the biggest market for Tunisia's textile and garments, rose by 5.5% on 2012 to TND1.8bn. However, shipments to its second largest market, Italy, fell by 2.6% to TND1.4bn due to poor economic conditions in the country.
Exports to smaller European markets fared better, with Germany rising in value by 18.2%, and Spain and the UK by 10% and 33.4% respectively.
"This was a good performance given the gloominess of European markets and the complex socio-political climate in Tunisia," said Jean-François Limantour, president of trade body, the Cercle Euro-méditerranéen des Dirigeants Textile-Habillement (CEDITH).
"The adoption of a new constitution, the forming of a technocratic government, the withdrawal from power of Islamic radicals and the prospect of legislative and presidential elections, suggests that Tunisia will finally become, after numerous months of political uncertainty, the first veritable democracy in the Arab world. This should raise foreign investor confidence," Limantour added.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022