TUNISIA: Textile and garment exports up 6% in 2013
Exports of textiles and garments from Tunisia grew by 6% in 2013 on the previous year totalling just over TND5.2bn (US$3.26bn).
According to figures from customs and the country's export agency, exports of garments increased by 7%, with jeans (+13.4%) and lingerie/swimwear (+10.4 %) recording the strongest growth.
Exports to France, the biggest market for Tunisia's textile and garments, rose by 5.5% on 2012 to TND1.8bn. However, shipments to its second largest market, Italy, fell by 2.6% to TND1.4bn due to poor economic conditions in the country.
Exports to smaller European markets fared better, with Germany rising in value by 18.2%, and Spain and the UK by 10% and 33.4% respectively.
"This was a good performance given the gloominess of European markets and the complex socio-political climate in Tunisia," said Jean-François Limantour, president of trade body, the Cercle Euro-méditerranéen des Dirigeants Textile-Habillement (CEDITH).
"The adoption of a new constitution, the forming of a technocratic government, the withdrawal from power of Islamic radicals and the prospect of legislative and presidential elections, suggests that Tunisia will finally become, after numerous months of political uncertainty, the first veritable democracy in the Arab world. This should raise foreign investor confidence," Limantour added.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Supply chain mapping using the Bitcoin blockchain
- Mexico makers see rise in exports and local demand
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- Euro decline weighs on Turkish clothing industry
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- UK retailers to answer over human trafficking
- New dye-sublimation printers for sportswear
- Uniqlo owner highlights supplier factory progress
- LF Corp to streamline planning and sourcing
- Exports of lower cotton content denim treble
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019