TUNISIA: Textile and garment exports up 6% in 2013
Exports of textiles and garments from Tunisia grew by 6% in 2013 on the previous year totalling just over TND5.2bn (US$3.26bn).
According to figures from customs and the country's export agency, exports of garments increased by 7%, with jeans (+13.4%) and lingerie/swimwear (+10.4 %) recording the strongest growth.
Exports to France, the biggest market for Tunisia's textile and garments, rose by 5.5% on 2012 to TND1.8bn. However, shipments to its second largest market, Italy, fell by 2.6% to TND1.4bn due to poor economic conditions in the country.
Exports to smaller European markets fared better, with Germany rising in value by 18.2%, and Spain and the UK by 10% and 33.4% respectively.
"This was a good performance given the gloominess of European markets and the complex socio-political climate in Tunisia," said Jean-François Limantour, president of trade body, the Cercle Euro-méditerranéen des Dirigeants Textile-Habillement (CEDITH).
"The adoption of a new constitution, the forming of a technocratic government, the withdrawal from power of Islamic radicals and the prospect of legislative and presidential elections, suggests that Tunisia will finally become, after numerous months of political uncertainty, the first veritable democracy in the Arab world. This should raise foreign investor confidence," Limantour added.
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- “Made in USA” company rapped for deceptive claims
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change