INDONESIA: Textile exports to target ASEAN in 2013
The Indonesian Textile Association (API) has said it will be trying to increase export sales for its members in other ASEAN (Association of South East Asian Nations) member countries in 2013, amidst declining European Union (EU) and US demand.
"We feel there is a growing market within the region for textile exports," API secretary general Ernovian G Ismy told just-style.
And there are many free trade agreements within the region that could boost such sales, he noted.
Indonesia exported a total of US$13.4bn in garment and textile products in 2011, of which just 7% went to the ASEAN region, according to the API.
Looking ahead, Africa and South Korea also look like promising markets for Indonesia claimed Ismy, who noted just 3% of Indonesian total textile and garment exports went to each country in 2011.
However he refused to predict how successful this strategy would be next year.
Indonesia's overall textile exports were however set to fall 5% in 2013, he predicted, with the financial crisis in the EU and still weak American demand hampering sales.
Indonesia is the fourth largest exporter of apparel to the US. Indonesian exports of apparel dropped by 7.61% in the year to June 2012 compared to the same period in 2010-2011, from US$1.35bn to US$1.24bn, according to the United States Association of Importers of Textiles and Apparel (USA-ITA).
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Trump’s China tariff a self-serving sound-bite
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- Bad sourcing blamed for pressure on retail margins
- Cost biggest barrier to Bangladesh RMG remediation
- Lies and statistics – the sustainability version
- Ten key trends in apparel and footwear markets
- Bangladesh firm comes top in World Textile Awards
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Primark continues US expansion with third store
- $360m logistics investment to benefit Bangladesh
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)