INDONESIA: Textile exports to target ASEAN in 2013
The Indonesian Textile Association (API) has said it will be trying to increase export sales for its members in other ASEAN (Association of South East Asian Nations) member countries in 2013, amidst declining European Union (EU) and US demand.
"We feel there is a growing market within the region for textile exports," API secretary general Ernovian G Ismy told just-style.
And there are many free trade agreements within the region that could boost such sales, he noted.
Indonesia exported a total of US$13.4bn in garment and textile products in 2011, of which just 7% went to the ASEAN region, according to the API.
Looking ahead, Africa and South Korea also look like promising markets for Indonesia claimed Ismy, who noted just 3% of Indonesian total textile and garment exports went to each country in 2011.
However he refused to predict how successful this strategy would be next year.
Indonesia's overall textile exports were however set to fall 5% in 2013, he predicted, with the financial crisis in the EU and still weak American demand hampering sales.
Indonesia is the fourth largest exporter of apparel to the US. Indonesian exports of apparel dropped by 7.61% in the year to June 2012 compared to the same period in 2010-2011, from US$1.35bn to US$1.24bn, according to the United States Association of Importers of Textiles and Apparel (USA-ITA).
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- Kurt Cavano on “the Uberfication of everything”
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- US Q2 in brief: J Crew, Aeropostale, Bebe Stores
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Adidas seeking to resolve shoe supplier dispute
- Adidas files trademark suit against Forever 21
- H&M offers $1m grant for sustainable innovations
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019