INDONESIA: Textile exports to target ASEAN in 2013
The Indonesian Textile Association (API) has said it will be trying to increase export sales for its members in other ASEAN (Association of South East Asian Nations) member countries in 2013, amidst declining European Union (EU) and US demand.
"We feel there is a growing market within the region for textile exports," API secretary general Ernovian G Ismy told just-style.
And there are many free trade agreements within the region that could boost such sales, he noted.
Indonesia exported a total of US$13.4bn in garment and textile products in 2011, of which just 7% went to the ASEAN region, according to the API.
Looking ahead, Africa and South Korea also look like promising markets for Indonesia claimed Ismy, who noted just 3% of Indonesian total textile and garment exports went to each country in 2011.
However he refused to predict how successful this strategy would be next year.
Indonesia's overall textile exports were however set to fall 5% in 2013, he predicted, with the financial crisis in the EU and still weak American demand hampering sales.
Indonesia is the fourth largest exporter of apparel to the US. Indonesian exports of apparel dropped by 7.61% in the year to June 2012 compared to the same period in 2010-2011, from US$1.35bn to US$1.24bn, according to the United States Association of Importers of Textiles and Apparel (USA-ITA).
- Expensive US dollar hitting H&M sourcing costs
- Enthusiasm for tech in outdoor apparel on rise
- 2015: Welcome to the new fashion consumer
- Apparel industry gains traction says IAF chief
- Performance apparel set for continued growth
- Kanati pulls production out of Pakistan
- Sears Holdings cuts 115 corporate jobs
- H&M Q4 mixed but plans 400 new stores
- JC Penney to close 10 Foundry stores
- UK clothing sales see strongest rise in two years
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead