INDONESIA: Textile exports to target ASEAN in 2013
The Indonesian Textile Association (API) has said it will be trying to increase export sales for its members in other ASEAN (Association of South East Asian Nations) member countries in 2013, amidst declining European Union (EU) and US demand.
"We feel there is a growing market within the region for textile exports," API secretary general Ernovian G Ismy told just-style.
And there are many free trade agreements within the region that could boost such sales, he noted.
Indonesia exported a total of US$13.4bn in garment and textile products in 2011, of which just 7% went to the ASEAN region, according to the API.
Looking ahead, Africa and South Korea also look like promising markets for Indonesia claimed Ismy, who noted just 3% of Indonesian total textile and garment exports went to each country in 2011.
However he refused to predict how successful this strategy would be next year.
Indonesia's overall textile exports were however set to fall 5% in 2013, he predicted, with the financial crisis in the EU and still weak American demand hampering sales.
Indonesia is the fourth largest exporter of apparel to the US. Indonesian exports of apparel dropped by 7.61% in the year to June 2012 compared to the same period in 2010-2011, from US$1.35bn to US$1.24bn, according to the United States Association of Importers of Textiles and Apparel (USA-ITA).
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- US Q4 in brief – PVH Corp, J Crew, Perry Ellis
- H&M, VF Corp and Levi among most ethical companies
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- PVH Corp to acquire e-commerce retailer True&Co
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective