SCOTLAND: Textile Firms Address Potential Skills Crisis
Textile companies in Scotland are working together to change the image of the sector and encourage more youngsters to follow a career in the industry to avert a possible skills crisis. New research has shown that within the next five years, between 15 and 20 per cent of the current workforce will reach retirement age. Many of these 2,000 or so workers have unique skills that need to be replaced, says the Behind the Label group. The research also shows a worrying trend in that seven out of ten Borders youngsters questioned do not want a career in the region's main manufacturing industry, the textile sector. Now the group, whose members include Hawick-based knitwear firm, Lyle & Scott, are working on key issues including improving collaboration between industry and education. Jan Robson, a senior personnel executive with Lyle & Scott, said some skills were already becoming very scarce. She said that improvements were already being made to change the outdated image of "poorly paid workers toiling away in the mill". "We are finding some amazing changes in attitude once we have the chance to put our case across to senior pupils," she said.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- US Q3 in brief - Rocky Brands, Gymboree Corp
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020