PAKISTAN: Textile firms warned of winter power cuts
Power distribution companies have warned Pakistan's textile industry to make alternative energy arrangements over the winter months since more shortages are likely.
Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited (SNGPL) has told its industrial consumers that a continuous gas supply will not be possible during the winter due to a sharp increase in demand from residential users.The Pakistan Electric Power Supply Company (PEPCO) has also announced four-hour daily power cuts for the textile industry.
Chaudhry Salamat Ali, ex-chairman of the Pakistan Hosiery Manufacturers & Exporters Association (PHMA), said the power cuts would not only halt production but also result in a loss of export orders.
He wants help from the President and Prime Minister to ensure a continuous gas supply to the country's textile industry.
Ahsan Bashir, central chairman of the All Pakistan Textile Mills Association (APTMA), believes the textile industry can achieve its production and export targets for the Christmas season if a continuous energy supply is ensured.
But Asghar Ali, chairman of the Pakistan Textile Exporters Association (PTEA), says possible closures will make millions of workers jobless and cause export losses of PKR1-1.5bn (US$10.4-15.6m) per day.
Between 60% and 70% of Pakistan's textile industry runs on gas-based power, with contracts ensuring a continuous supply for just nine months of the year.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- Hong Kong industry pins future on innovation
- Asian union development: is there another way?
- US Q2 in brief: Guess, PVH, Abercrombie & Fitch
- Gap restructuring weighs on Q2 as profit falls 34%
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Ralph Lauren debuts biometic smart shirt
- China market woes could hit consumer spending
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019