PAKISTAN: Textile firms warned of winter power cuts
Power distribution companies have warned Pakistan's textile industry to make alternative energy arrangements over the winter months since more shortages are likely.
Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited (SNGPL) has told its industrial consumers that a continuous gas supply will not be possible during the winter due to a sharp increase in demand from residential users.The Pakistan Electric Power Supply Company (PEPCO) has also announced four-hour daily power cuts for the textile industry.
Chaudhry Salamat Ali, ex-chairman of the Pakistan Hosiery Manufacturers & Exporters Association (PHMA), said the power cuts would not only halt production but also result in a loss of export orders.
He wants help from the President and Prime Minister to ensure a continuous gas supply to the country's textile industry.
Ahsan Bashir, central chairman of the All Pakistan Textile Mills Association (APTMA), believes the textile industry can achieve its production and export targets for the Christmas season if a continuous energy supply is ensured.
But Asghar Ali, chairman of the Pakistan Textile Exporters Association (PTEA), says possible closures will make millions of workers jobless and cause export losses of PKR1-1.5bn (US$10.4-15.6m) per day.
Between 60% and 70% of Pakistan's textile industry runs on gas-based power, with contracts ensuring a continuous supply for just nine months of the year.
- India's labour law reforms edge a step closer
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- Alliance and Accord urged to harmonise efforts
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- Under Armour "resonating strongly" with consumers
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- Ultrasonic execs disappear along with company cash
- H&M to work with ILO on sustainable supply chains
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Clothing Manufacturers (Global) - Industry Report