PAKISTAN: Textile firms warned of winter power cuts
Power distribution companies have warned Pakistan's textile industry to make alternative energy arrangements over the winter months since more shortages are likely.
Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited (SNGPL) has told its industrial consumers that a continuous gas supply will not be possible during the winter due to a sharp increase in demand from residential users.The Pakistan Electric Power Supply Company (PEPCO) has also announced four-hour daily power cuts for the textile industry.
Chaudhry Salamat Ali, ex-chairman of the Pakistan Hosiery Manufacturers & Exporters Association (PHMA), said the power cuts would not only halt production but also result in a loss of export orders.
He wants help from the President and Prime Minister to ensure a continuous gas supply to the country's textile industry.
Ahsan Bashir, central chairman of the All Pakistan Textile Mills Association (APTMA), believes the textile industry can achieve its production and export targets for the Christmas season if a continuous energy supply is ensured.
But Asghar Ali, chairman of the Pakistan Textile Exporters Association (PTEA), says possible closures will make millions of workers jobless and cause export losses of PKR1-1.5bn (US$10.4-15.6m) per day.
Between 60% and 70% of Pakistan's textile industry runs on gas-based power, with contracts ensuring a continuous supply for just nine months of the year.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- Where next for Walmart's 3D apparel design pilot?
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- EU and US dispute China raw materials duties
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis