EUROPE: Textile, machinery makers launch ManuTex R&D scheme
A new initiative has been launched to help European textile and clothing manufacturers and machinery makers target their product developments at the industry's changing needs.
The scheme, called ManuTex, is backed by the European Technology Platform for Assuring the Future of Manufacturing in Europe (Manufuture) and the European Technology Platform for the Future of Textiles and Clothing (Textile ETP).
It wants to support a general move towards high-added value specialty products, the search for new markets for functional textiles, and the move from mass production to customisation - all of which are widely believed to be key to the future of Europe's textile and clothing sector.
ManuTex will set up a permanent collaboration forum between textile/clothing manufacturers and machinery makers, as well as initiate breakthrough research projects between the two sectors.
A ManuTex Coordination Committee will be chaired by Prof Thomas Gries, director of the Institut für Textiltechnik at the RWTH Aachen University, Germany (ITA).
Prof Heinrich Flegel, chairman of Manufuture, said: "The ManuTex initiative is an excellent example of the will of two mutually dependent industrial sectors to defend and extend their global competitive edge through intensified cooperation in research and development at European level."
Mr Dick Hendriks, chairman of the Governing Council of the Textile ETP, added that future strategic shifts will require new manufacturing concepts and consequently new production technologies. "We are confident that both sides will greatly benefit from this collaboration," he said.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Bangladesh apparel sector faces up to challenges
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Gap working to rebuild and gain market share
- Wage abuses can’t be eliminated by software and PR
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- US Q4 in brief – American Eagle Outfitters
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- Bangladesh government steps in on labour crackdown
- Adidas unveils "revolutionary" marathon shoe
- Myanmar forms new minimum wage committee
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022