GERMANY: Textile nanoparticle study finds minimal risks
Results from two three-year studies into the safety of nanoparticles have concluded that textiles treated with nanoparticles pose little to no risk to human health or ecosystems.
The TechnoTox research was coordinated by the Hohenstein Institute and looked at the nanotoxicity risk of textiles, including fabrics enhanced with silver nanoparticles (Ag-NP).
Hohenstein determined how silver nanoparticles leach from fabrics, providing critical data for partners to evaluate the impact of silver nanoparticles on the environment.
Among the conclusions it was determined that silver nanoparticles acted effectively on bacteria found in perspiration but had no detrimental impact on the skin's naturally occurring protective bacteria and caused no skin irritation.
Additionally, the use of Ag-NP treated apparel did not build resistance in the undesirable bacteria, it said.
The study also indicated that the inhalation, absorption, and ingestion of any silver nanoparticles released from the tested fabrics had no negative effect on human organ or tissue functions. And it found no significant risk of damage to aquatic ecosystems, sewage treatment plants, or landfill operations from textile mill effluents or home laundry.
Silver nanoparticles are widely used to prevent unpleasant odour caused by bacteria, but concerns have been raised over their potential risks.
- Expensive US dollar hitting H&M sourcing costs
- Enthusiasm for tech in outdoor apparel on rise
- 2015: Welcome to the new fashion consumer
- Apparel industry gains traction says IAF chief
- Performance apparel set for continued growth
- Kanati pulls production out of Pakistan
- Sears Holdings cuts 115 corporate jobs
- H&M Q4 mixed but plans 400 new stores
- UK clothing sales see strongest rise in two years
- Companies continue to call for US trade commitment
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead