GERMANY: Textile nanoparticle study finds minimal risks
Results from two three-year studies into the safety of nanoparticles have concluded that textiles treated with nanoparticles pose little to no risk to human health or ecosystems.
The TechnoTox research was coordinated by the Hohenstein Institute and looked at the nanotoxicity risk of textiles, including fabrics enhanced with silver nanoparticles (Ag-NP).
Hohenstein determined how silver nanoparticles leach from fabrics, providing critical data for partners to evaluate the impact of silver nanoparticles on the environment.
Among the conclusions it was determined that silver nanoparticles acted effectively on bacteria found in perspiration but had no detrimental impact on the skin's naturally occurring protective bacteria and caused no skin irritation.
Additionally, the use of Ag-NP treated apparel did not build resistance in the undesirable bacteria, it said.
The study also indicated that the inhalation, absorption, and ingestion of any silver nanoparticles released from the tested fabrics had no negative effect on human organ or tissue functions. And it found no significant risk of damage to aquatic ecosystems, sewage treatment plants, or landfill operations from textile mill effluents or home laundry.
Silver nanoparticles are widely used to prevent unpleasant odour caused by bacteria, but concerns have been raised over their potential risks.
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- Gap impressed with supply chain improvements
- More licensing and less M&A for Global Brands
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Cambodia garment industry hit with fresh strikes
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report