GERMANY: Textile nanoparticle study finds minimal risks
Results from two three-year studies into the safety of nanoparticles have concluded that textiles treated with nanoparticles pose little to no risk to human health or ecosystems.
The TechnoTox research was coordinated by the Hohenstein Institute and looked at the nanotoxicity risk of textiles, including fabrics enhanced with silver nanoparticles (Ag-NP).
Hohenstein determined how silver nanoparticles leach from fabrics, providing critical data for partners to evaluate the impact of silver nanoparticles on the environment.
Among the conclusions it was determined that silver nanoparticles acted effectively on bacteria found in perspiration but had no detrimental impact on the skin's naturally occurring protective bacteria and caused no skin irritation.
Additionally, the use of Ag-NP treated apparel did not build resistance in the undesirable bacteria, it said.
The study also indicated that the inhalation, absorption, and ingestion of any silver nanoparticles released from the tested fabrics had no negative effect on human organ or tissue functions. And it found no significant risk of damage to aquatic ecosystems, sewage treatment plants, or landfill operations from textile mill effluents or home laundry.
Silver nanoparticles are widely used to prevent unpleasant odour caused by bacteria, but concerns have been raised over their potential risks.
- Why Inditex is "clear winner" in fast fashion
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- Brexit blow to global apparel industry confidence
- Sir Philip Green blamed for the collapse of BHS
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Vietnam mulls wage freeze to boost competitiveness
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- US Q2 in brief - Carter's, Wolverine Worldwide
- Teijin launches polyester hook-and-loop fastener
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020