GERMANY: Textile nanoparticle study finds minimal risks
Results from two three-year studies into the safety of nanoparticles have concluded that textiles treated with nanoparticles pose little to no risk to human health or ecosystems.
The TechnoTox research was coordinated by the Hohenstein Institute and looked at the nanotoxicity risk of textiles, including fabrics enhanced with silver nanoparticles (Ag-NP).
Hohenstein determined how silver nanoparticles leach from fabrics, providing critical data for partners to evaluate the impact of silver nanoparticles on the environment.
Among the conclusions it was determined that silver nanoparticles acted effectively on bacteria found in perspiration but had no detrimental impact on the skin's naturally occurring protective bacteria and caused no skin irritation.
Additionally, the use of Ag-NP treated apparel did not build resistance in the undesirable bacteria, it said.
The study also indicated that the inhalation, absorption, and ingestion of any silver nanoparticles released from the tested fabrics had no negative effect on human organ or tissue functions. And it found no significant risk of damage to aquatic ecosystems, sewage treatment plants, or landfill operations from textile mill effluents or home laundry.
Silver nanoparticles are widely used to prevent unpleasant odour caused by bacteria, but concerns have been raised over their potential risks.
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Kurt Cavano on “the Uberfication of everything”
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- US Q2 in brief: J Crew, Aeropostale, Bebe Stores
- Adidas seeking to resolve shoe supplier dispute
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Stock-out paradox persists despite data overload
- H&M offers $1m grant for sustainable innovations
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019