PAKISTAN: Textile sector in sustainable production drive
The All Pakistan Textile Mills Association (APTMA) has teamed up with the German Academy for International Cooperation (GIZ) to set up a Sustainable Production Centre to promote energy efficiency and cleaner production technologies in member mills.
The Sustainable Production Centre in Lahore will also advise textile firms on how to improve their production systems, reusing industrial wastewater, renewable energy options and capacity development.
Even though textiles is Pakistan's largest manufacturing sector, the industry is struggling in the face of higher energy costs and frequent power cuts," explained Seth Muhammad Akbar, vice chairman of the APTMA. He hopes the collaboration will lead to a solution to the country's prevailing energy crisis.
Ahsan Bashir, chairman of the APTMA Punjab zone, told just-style that a plan is underway for the treatment of around 400bn litres of reusable industrial wastewater. Seven litres of water is used to produce one square metre of fabric - and Pakistan produces 9bn square metres of finished fabrics annually, he explained.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Big data helps Crystal Group sustainability gains
- Brexit and the apparel industry – what lies ahead?
- Brexit uncertainty over pending EU trade deals
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- India sets out long-overdue clothing labour reform
- Delta Galil buys VF Corp premium brands for $120m
- Brexit to halt deflation in UK clothing sector
- Under Armour opens manufacturing innovation hub
- Nike faces domestic and future order headwinds
- Walmart's 'Made in USA' pledge misleading
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Denmark
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts