PAKISTAN: Textile workers protest at gas cuts
Thousands of textile workers and plant owners took to the streets last week to protest against gas cuts for the textile industry in the province of Punjab.
The textile workers gathered at Manga-Raiwind Road near Lahore and marched towards the office of Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited (SNGPL) in Lahore city, where they staged a sit-in.
The move came after SNGPL told the textile industry it is unlikely that gas supplies will be restored in January as it has no obligation to provide gas to the industry during the months of December, January and February.
Mohsin Aziz, central chairman of the All Pakistan Textile Mills Association (APTMA), said the gas cuts would have a catastrophic impact on the textile industry, including massive unemployment, losses to cotton growers and a decline of US$$2bn in textile exports by the year-end.
He is urging the government to restore gas supplies to the sector without further delay
Pakistan is in the midst of its worst energy shortage period. Gas supplies for the textile industry have been suspended since 25 December in addition to 6-8 hour daily electricity cuts for the industry.
Around 70% of the textile industry is located in the province of Punjab.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- Cost biggest barrier to Bangladesh RMG remediation
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Lies and statistics – the sustainability version
- Bangladesh firm comes top in World Textile Awards
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Ten key trends in apparel and footwear markets
- Myanmar factories prepare for compliance training
- ILO decent work in global supply chains criticised
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)