PAKISTAN: Textile workers protest at gas cuts
Thousands of textile workers and plant owners took to the streets last week to protest against gas cuts for the textile industry in the province of Punjab.
The textile workers gathered at Manga-Raiwind Road near Lahore and marched towards the office of Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited (SNGPL) in Lahore city, where they staged a sit-in.
The move came after SNGPL told the textile industry it is unlikely that gas supplies will be restored in January as it has no obligation to provide gas to the industry during the months of December, January and February.
Mohsin Aziz, central chairman of the All Pakistan Textile Mills Association (APTMA), said the gas cuts would have a catastrophic impact on the textile industry, including massive unemployment, losses to cotton growers and a decline of US$$2bn in textile exports by the year-end.
He is urging the government to restore gas supplies to the sector without further delay
Pakistan is in the midst of its worst energy shortage period. Gas supplies for the textile industry have been suspended since 25 December in addition to 6-8 hour daily electricity cuts for the industry.
Around 70% of the textile industry is located in the province of Punjab.
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- Gap audits reveal compliance issues in Myanmar
- Water scarcity a challenge to cotton supply chains
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- Adidas to use only Bluesign-approved chemicals
- Accord and Alliance discord "a setback"
- 'Cotton of the Carolinas' grows reshoring efforts
- Myanmar and US to develop labour rights initiative
- Scientists hail first recycled cotton garment
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report