PAKISTAN: Textile working conditions "must improve"
Textile working conditions in Pakistan need to improve amid “major irregularities” in the industry, according to a Dutch government Minister.
Lilianne Ploumen, Minister for Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation, spoke while visiting textile factories across the region – and announced Dutch government funding for an ILO (International Labour Organization) project to follow up her findings.
“The spotlight is on Bangladesh, but reports from Pakistan suggest major irregularities in the textile industry, she said.
“Safety and working conditions are well regulated in many factories, but there are many others which are unsafe and where workers are paid less than the minimum wage. So there is room for improvement in Pakistan too.”
Ploumen highlighted a textile factory supplying companies including Dutch firm Hema as an example of good practice, pointing to its school for workers’ children, gender specialist and worker housing.
But she said smaller facilities and companies targeting the domestic market tended to have poorer working and safety conditions, as well as being responsible for high levels of pollution.
Ploumen also highlighted a textile factory fire in Karachi in 2012, which killed nearly 300 workers.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- Sir Philip Green blamed for the collapse of BHS
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Brexit Trade Focus – How a CANZ-UK FTA stacks up
- Brexit blow to global apparel industry confidence
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Teijin launches polyester hook-and-loop fastener
- New Tencel fibre based on cotton waste fabrics
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape