VIETNAM: Textiles and garments lead exports to South Korea
Textile and garments already lead exports from Vietnam to South Korea in 2013 - as it emerged this week that the two countries are working to finalise a free trade agreement later this year.
In 2013, Vietnam earned $6.6bn from exports to South Korea, a rise of 18.9% over the previous year. Within this, textile and garment shipments surged 53.5% year-on-year to $1.64 bn in 2013, with South Korea the fourth largest market for Vietnam-made products.
During the year, the country spent $2.63bn on importing materials for textile, garment and footwear production from South Korea, a rise of 19% on the year before.
A formal free trade agreement (FTA) between the two countries is currently being negotiated, with the aim that it is signed this year.
The FTA is expected to improve the flow of capital, labour and goods and should build on existing regional agreements. Vietnam is currently a member of the ASEAN bloc, which itself has a free trade pact with South Korea.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- Brexit Trade Focus – How a CANZ-UK FTA stacks up
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- EU and US dispute China raw materials duties
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis