UK: Textiles Lead In Bio-tech Revolution
The awards presented to the winners by Science Minister Lord Sainsbury at Bio-Wise's annual conference went respectively to Yorkshire based spinner Thomas Chadwick and to Treforest Textiles which is a specialist fabric printer operating out of Pontypridd in South Wales.
Thomas Chadwick picked up a grant of £354,879 for its project, which demonstrated how bacterial micro-organisms can be deployed to eliminate organic waste from the wool industry. Treforest's award was also related to waste disposal. It received £109,974 to set against the £274,486 already spent developing an environmentally friendly method of dealing with aqueous waste.
At the presentation ceremony Lord Sainsbury told the prize winners and conference delegates: "Bio-technology offers huge potential improvements to industry and to the environment, while turning new ideas and technology into jobs and prosperity with schemes like those set before us today is crucial to maintaining the strength of the national economy."
By Sonia Roberts.
Companies: TJX Companies Inc
Clothing specialists and grocers have already made a major assault on the UK footwear market. New research suggests there is likely to be further encroachment in 2005 from non-specialists attracted by...
The prerequisite of survival in today's manufacturing environment is to have up-to-date, reliable information and communication systems integrated throughout the business - and to be able to use and i...
Children's wear has emerged as the major battleground of the UK clothing market. Fewer consumers, a slowdown in spending growth, downward price pressure from grocers and range extension from adult clo...
After a couple of months' intensive lobbying and mind-changing in Beijing, Washington and Brussels, we're pretty close to seeing what the regulatory background is going to be for global apparel tradin...
However important and serious the problems coming from quota abolition might be, there's no evidence they're urgent, says Mike Flanagan. Governments do most damage when they act in haste: the most imp...
Sports shoe company K-Swiss has reported a slight rise in third-quarter income, encouraged by better international revenue and share buybacks....
British textile and clothing companies who want to apply for next year's Queen's Award for Enterprise - one of the UK's most prestigious business accolades - need to submit their applications by midni...
Value apparel and home products retailer TJX Cos Inc has reported an increase in second-quarter net income on disciplined inventory management and opportunistic buying, despite lower-than-predicted sa...
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- How to ensure sustainability is more than a slogan
- Software for financial planning and operations
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- US Q3 in brief – Oxford Industries, Genesco
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- Myanmar garment industry "lacking labour rights"
- Adidas NYC flagship raises the bar on sport stores
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack