US: Timberland recalls 193,000 pairs of boots
US outerwear maker Timberland has confirmed it is recalling around 193,000 pairs of steel toe boots because they may not provide enough protection.
No injuries have been reported, but the company says its PRO Direct Attach Steel Toe Boots "could fail to provide the intended protection against compression and impact, posing the risk of a foot injury to consumers."
The boots were sold at shoe stores and other independent retailers in the US from September 2005 through September 2007, for between US$90 and $115. They were manufactured in the Dominican Republic.
Direct Attach Steel Toe boots made in China, meanwhile, were not subject to the recall, Timberland said.
Consumers have been told to stop wearing the recalled boots immediately and contact The Timberland Company to receive a free replacement pair of boots.
Timberland last week revealed that the voluntary recall would cost the company $4m and contribute to a narrowed full year outlook.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Here is a roundup of the top five most-read stories on just-style this week. Click on each headline for the full story....
Boot maker Timberland Company today (7 February) ended a "disappointing year" with a lower fourth quarter profit, hurt by restructuring charges and lower sales of its boots and kids' footwear....
High-end jeans and denim apparel maker Blue Holdings Inc has signed two new licensing agreements for its Antik Denim and Yanuk brands....
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022