US: TJX posts full-year net profit growth
- Full-year net income increased 11.3% to $1.4bn
- Sales rose 6% to $23.2bn.
- Fourth-quarter net income increased 42.1% to $475.3m
- Sales rose 6% to $6.7bn
Off-price retailer The TJX Companies Inc has reported a jump in full-year and fourth-quarter profit thanks to strong sales, and announced plans to build its e-commerce operations in the year ahead.
The comapny said that for the full-year ended 28 January, net income rose 11.3% to US$1.4bn as sales increased 6% to $23.2bn. Comparable-store sales increased 4%.
Over the fourth-quarter, profit jumped 42.1% to $475.3m on the back of a 6% sales increase to $6.7bn.
"I am extremely proud of our performance in 2011, which marked another great year for TJX and underscores the power of our flexible business model to perform in almost any kind of economic environment," said TJX Companies CEO Carol Meyrowitz.
"Above all, we delivered extraordinary values on ever-changing assortments of current fashions and brands to consumers, and ended the year with significant gains in customer traffic.
"We enter a new fiscal year with considerable momentum in our business and are off to a very strong start in 2012. With favorable weather patterns in February, comp store sales are trending toward a 7% increase for the month."
In fiscal 2013, the Meyrowitz said the company plans to invest in its supply chain and infrastructure, new stores, store remodels and building an e-commerce business.
It is forecasting full-year earnings per share in the range of $221-2.31 against $1.93 earned in fiscal 2012. The outlook is based on comparable-store sales growth of 1-2%.
Lured by warm weather and promotions to clear summer merchandise, US shoppers hit the stores in July giving an overall boost to many apparel retailers - but the results shed little light on back-to-sc...
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' July 2012 sales results....
A number of US retailers have reported worse than expected June sales after experiencing rocky demand across the month....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' June 2012 sales results. ...
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Outdoor industry's future must be more inclusive
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Asos FY profit drop: What the analysts say
- Cambodia clothing factory collapse injures eight
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- H&M and The North Face commit to responsible down
- Bangladesh taps factory inspectors ahead of review
- Coats to open new zip factory in Bangladesh
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre