INDIA/MAURITIUS: To increase apparel sector collaboration
India and Mauritius have signed a series of agreements to increase collaboration in the textiles sector.
A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) has been established between the Apparel Export Promotion Council (AEPC) and Enterprise Mauritius to co-operate on compliance standards and enhancing competitiveness, as well as capacity building.
An MoU has also been signed between the Northern India Research Association (NITRA) and the Mauritius Standards Bureau (MSB) to cooperate in standardisation, quality assurance and conformity assessment, laboratory accreditation and testing proficiency, as well as capacity building and information exchange.
And another agreement has been inked between NITRA and the National Productivity and Competitiveness Council to work together on improving productivity and quality.
The Clothing Manufacturers Association of India (CMAI) and Mauritius Exporters Association (MEXA) have partnered to establish co-operation in fashion and design promotion, education and training through a network of textile professionals and industry representatives from India and Mauritius.
And the Institute of Apparel Management (IAM) and the Fashion and Design Institute of Mauritius plan to work together on training programmes covering design, textile technology and fashion technology.
India will also offer training to 1,000 textile workers from Mauritius, 35 scholarship programmes and develop 10 fully compliant apparel factories.
Mauritius' minister of industry commerce and consumer protection is set to visit India in February to discuss possibilities for Indian investment in the textiles sector with Indian companies.
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- COMMENT: Skills or new technology?
- UK reshoring hub hit by sweatshop claims
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- 30% of Adidas cotton from sustainable sources
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- Benetton to embark on living wage roadmap
- Sri Lanka and Bangladesh FTA talks underway
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide