BANGLADESH: To relocate factories ahead of USTR GSP hearing
The Bangladesh government has allocated land close to the capital Dhaka to relocate potentially unsafe garment factories, ahead of the United States Trade Representative (USTR) hearing on 28 March on whether the country should continue to enjoy GSP access to American markets.
Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BGMEA) president, Shafiul Islam Mohiuddin, told just-style the new plots would be in Munshiganj district.
The decision follows the death of 120 garment workers in two recent fires, which exposed poor standards and lack of safety measures in factories making clothes for leading global brands.
This, in turn, has led to renewed calls in the US for Bangladesh to lose its GSP status.
Mohiuddin will accompany the senior official (secretary) at Bangladesh's commerce ministry to Washington for the USTR hearing to resist the move. Indeed, the pair will also argue for GSP to be applied to Bangladesh garment exports too.
"We are making significant improvements across the board," said Mohiuddin. Meanwhile, the Bangladesh government is identifying factories that need relocation. The world's second largest clothing exporter has nearly 5,000 garment factories.
The BGMEA chief said 35,000 workers will be trained this year on fire safety. "We will make our case at hearing and try our best to get the facility for the garment sector," Mohiuddin said.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- Nicaragua apparel and shoe firms to double in size
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- H&M scaling up living wage effort to key suppliers
- US Q2 in brief: G-III, Shoe Carnival, J Crew
- Myanmar approves first minimum wage
- EU clothing buyers should brace for higher prices
- PVH “well-positioned” in China despite headwinds
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020