ITALY: Tod's FY sales up 7.8% on strong exports
- FY sales up 7.8% to EUR963.1m
- Tod's brand up 12.5% to EUR569.7m
- CEO expects improved sales in 2013
Strong international sales have helped luxury goods group Tod's to increase revenues by 7.8% in 2012, despite continued weakness in its home market of Italy.
The core Tod's brand saw sales rise 12.5% and Roger Vivier more than doubled its revenues off a small base, but Hogan and Fay – two brands more exposed to the Italian market – registered double-digit sales declines, down 13.3% and 15.2% respectively.
Tod's said the performance of the two brands was impacted by the strategic decision to rationalise wholesale distribution in Italy, given the market’s difficult situation.
Sales in Italy fell 14.5% in the year and now account for less than half of the company's revenues, thanks to a 31% surge in revenues in North America, a 48.7% rise in Asia/rest of the world and a 10% increase in Europe outside Italy.
Shoe sales rose 9.9% to EUR710.4m, but apparel revenues – closely linked to the Fay brand – declined 15.1% to EUR86.2m.
Tod's chairman and CEO Diego Della Valle said he was “deeply satisfied” with the sales results, adding: “Our group has further strengthened its position of leading player in the luxury goods industry, despite the challenging environment.”
The company, he said, would be “even more selective” in its Italian wholesale distribution this year, but he believed its overall performance would improve on 2012.
- Expensive US dollar hitting H&M sourcing costs
- Enthusiasm for tech in outdoor apparel on rise
- 2015: Welcome to the new fashion consumer
- Apparel industry gains traction says IAF chief
- Performance apparel set for continued growth
- Kanati pulls production out of Pakistan
- Sears Holdings cuts 115 corporate jobs
- H&M Q4 mixed but plans 400 new stores
- JC Penney to close 10 Foundry stores
- UK clothing sales see strongest rise in two years
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead