DENMARK: Top Designer Takes Fashion Into The Space Age
The fashion designer and ex-model Isabel Kristensen is to hold a fashion show in space. She has been experimenting in weightless surroundings and testing different materials such as chiffon for their weightless properties.The fashion show is slated for this Autumn, although no date has been set yet. In an interview on Denmark's TV2 breakfast show, she described her excitement for the project, but didn't reveal any of the new designs. Ms Kristensen has also been researching how different textiles drape in zero gravity. She said that she had initially intended to use chiffon but, since experiencing weightlessness, she has re-thought the whole collection.The fashion show will use a Russian Iljushin plane that was used for scenes in the hit film Apollo 13. It has also been used to train Russian cosmonauts in weightlessness.Danish newspaper Berlingske Tidende reported that Ms Kristensen got the idea when visiting the NASA space station in the US. When she returned to her showroom in Monaco she was full of cosmic ideas.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Sales at US clothing retailers jumped in January
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- Li & Fung dropped from Hang Seng Index
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar