DENMARK: Top Designer Takes Fashion Into The Space Age
The fashion designer and ex-model Isabel Kristensen is to hold a fashion show in space. She has been experimenting in weightless surroundings and testing different materials such as chiffon for their weightless properties.The fashion show is slated for this Autumn, although no date has been set yet. In an interview on Denmark's TV2 breakfast show, she described her excitement for the project, but didn't reveal any of the new designs. Ms Kristensen has also been researching how different textiles drape in zero gravity. She said that she had initially intended to use chiffon but, since experiencing weightlessness, she has re-thought the whole collection.The fashion show will use a Russian Iljushin plane that was used for scenes in the hit film Apollo 13. It has also been used to train Russian cosmonauts in weightlessness.Danish newspaper Berlingske Tidende reported that Ms Kristensen got the idea when visiting the NASA space station in the US. When she returned to her showroom in Monaco she was full of cosmic ideas.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Aéropostale to reopen 500 stores across the US
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- JC Penney latest retailer to shutter stores?
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022