Top stories on just-style this week...
Here is a roundup of the top five most-read stories on just-style this week. Click on each headline for the full story.
To cast your vote on the most interesting of these articles, follow this link.
N Brown finds right fit
UK: N Brown bucks downturn as FY profit soars 19%
N Brown Group, the internet and catalogue home shopping group that caters for mature and plus-sized customers, Tuesday posted a 19.4% jump in full-year pre-tax profit and said its new financial year has got off to an encouraging start.
Jones Apparel off to slow start
US: Jones Apparel profit slips 59% on lower demand
Jones Apparel Group reported a 59% slump in first quarter profit on Wednesday and lowered its outlook for the year on lower demand from some of its retail customers.
Clothing aisles triumph
In the money: Supermarkets take on the high street
Supermarket fashions are a force to be reckoned with in the UK, and companies like Asda and Tesco have made no secret of their lofty ambitions to dominate the clothing sector. Convenience and keen prices might be good news for the consumer, but what do they mean for the clothing sector as a whole? asked Richard Woodard this week.
EU anti-dumping disruptions
EU: Savvy retailers should prepare for anti-dumping action
The likelihood of an anti-dumping complaint against Chinese-made clothing imports into the EU is so strong, a UK trade expert has told just-style, that retailers and importers should be prepared for possible disruptions when sourcing their ranges next year.
Children's Place sends Disney homeward
US: Disney buys store chain from Children's Place
The Walt Disney Co has acquired the Disney Store chain in North America from subsidiaries of The Children's Place Retail Stores. Under the transaction announced yesterday (1 May), Disney said it has acquired around 220 Disney Stores in the US and Canada.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
With the Western recession likely to get a lot worse, and import quotas on Chinese clothing and textile imports into the US due to expire at the end of this year, it's a safe bet there'll be many more...
Up to 25 footwear firms intending to build or expand factories in Indonesia may delay or even cancel their plans because of global financial uncertainties according to local news reports....
US presidential candidate Barack Obama has promised that if he is elected next week he will launch a programme to monitor imports of Chinese textiles and apparel once safeguards are removed at the end...
A "challenging economic climate," including the bankruptcy filings of two regional department stores where its brands were sold, contributed to a 93.2% slump in third quarter profit at Jones Apparel G...
The World Trade Organization (WTO) has reported a surge in new anti-dumping investigations in the first half of this year, with the textiles sector initiating the second highest number of probes....
Shares in Jones Apparel Group fell 3% in late trading yesterday (14 October) after the company blamed the economy for a cut in its full-year profit forecasts....
A US lawmaker has asked the government to start monitoring textile and clothing imports from China next year in a bid to pre-empt any sudden surges in imports when existing restrictions are lifted at ...
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar