Top stories on just-style this week...
Here is a roundup of the top five most-read stories on just-style this week. Click on each headline for the full story.
M&S makes a billion
UK: FY profit at M&S breaks through GBP1bn barrier
Marks & Spencer Group Plc, Britain's largest clothing retailer, Tuesday (20 May) delivered a mixed bag of full-year results, breaking through the GBP1bn profit barrier for the first time in more than a decade, but also warning of tough times ahead.
Gap eyes Russia
US: Gap, Banana Republic stores to open in Russia
US retail giant Gap Inc is to take its Gap and Banana Republic brands to Russia after expanding its partnership with franchising company Fiba Holding AS, it emerged Wednesday.
US: K-Swiss to acquire 57% of Palladium for $8.3m
Athletic footwear firm K-Swiss is to buy 57% of French shoe brand Palladium SAS for EUR5.3m (US$8.33m), it reported yesterday.
French Connection starts well
UK: Men's wear drags down French Connection outlook
UK high street fashion brand French Connection Group says it has got off to a good start at the beginning of its financial year, but aired caution for the year ahead, particularly in its men's wear business.
JJB grabs Qube
UK: JJB Sports buys Qube stores for GBP1
UK retailer JJB Sports has bought the loss-making Qube footwear store chain for the nominal fee of GBP1 (US$1.98). The deal is viewed by the sportswear specialist as complementary to its recent GBP5m acquisition of the Original Shoe Company (OSC).
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
EU regulations that came into force last June require clothing manufacturers and importers to identify and quantify the chemicals used in their products. But companies only have until 1 December to co...
Gap Inc said its net earnings for the third quarter increased to $246m, compared with $238m for the third quarter last year, despite declines in total and same-store sales....
The new owners of US retailer Steve & Barry's are to liquidate its 173 remaining stores, it has been reported....
Higher markdowns and lower sales meant discount retailer Stein Mart Inc widened its third quarter loss in what it described as "the most challenging [quarter] in the company's history."...
Women's apparel retailer New York & Company Inc has swung to a third quarter loss amid the "dramatic deterioration of the economy," and lowered its forecasts for the rest of the year....
Stage Stores Inc has swung to a third quarter loss, lowered its outlook for the year, and says it will cut capital spending in 2009....
US apparel maker Warnaco Group is to cut 7% of its corporate staff - representing 45 jobs - in a bid to adapt to the difficult economic climate....
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022