Top stories on just-style this week...
Here is a roundup of the top five most-read stories on just-style this week. Click on each headline for the full story.
UK: Asda launches 100-day garment guarantee
Asda, the supermarket chain that sells George branded clothes, today (8 March) launched a new scheme to offer shoppers a 100 day guarantee on garments.
COMMENT: Garment sector well-placed to sell sustainability
The garment industry’s global supply network gives it a key role to play in leading the push towards sustainability and eco-friendly production. But the sector must work as an industry with an industry-wide organisation and an industry-wide standard if it is to avoid the errors of compliance, believes David Birnbaum.
ANALYSIS: Foot Locker unveils new expansionist strategy
Retailer Foot Locker is poised to enter a new era of expansion, vowing to grow annual sales by 25% to US$6bn over the next five years.
VIEWPOINT: Are retailers responsible for non-compliant factories?
The Bangladeshi apparel industry has a lamentable track record when it comes to factory safety, especially fires. But where does the industry draw the line when it comes to apportioning blame to retailers and buyers?
THE FLANARANT: Imagination's better than a begging bowl
Turkey’s about to hire lobbyists to try to secure duty-free access for its garments to the US, and Pakistan’s about to spend money on a similar campaign to stop paying EU import duty. But instead of investing a fortune on what is likely to be a fruitless exercise, Mike Flanagan believes they could be doing more to help themselves.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Far from quelling months of violent protests over pay and conditions, an 80% rise in the minimum wage for garment workers in Bangladesh has simply led to a fresh wave of violence over claims it still ...
Just as trade bodies in Bangladesh are attempting to thrash out a minimum wage package for garment workers, retailers who source from the country are feeling similar pressures too. ...
UK supermarket chain Asda has appointed Marks and Spencer (M&S) trading director Nick Jones to sourcing director of clothing brand George....
An improvement in margins has helped New York-based specialty athletic retailer Foot Locker Inc to a second quarter....
The Ethical Trading Initiative has urged retailers sourcing from Bangladesh to "play their part" to make sure workers aren't the first to suffer when brands squeeze costs, cut prices within contract, ...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Britain’s Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trad
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- JC Penney latest retailer to shutter stores?
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022