Top stories on just-style this week...
Among the most-read stories on just-style this week was news that uniforms worn by American athletes at the 2014 Olympics will be made in the US, a look at the real wage cost of clothing, and plans by Adidas to close its company-owned Chinese apparel factory.
US: 2014 Olympic uniforms to be made in the US
Ralph Lauren Corp has pledged that uniforms worn by American athletes at the 2014 Winter Olympic Games will be made in the US, following a row over this year's outfits being manufactured in China.
Comment: Why it is all about the cost of labour!
It is well-known that sourcing decisions are not simply based on labour costs. But a comment piece on just-style earlier this month has prompted Doug Miller, Professor (Emeritus) of Worker Rights in Fashion, to hit back with his own analysis of the real wage cost of clothing - and what he believes is the gross undervaluation of garment assembly.
CHINA: Adidas to shut Chinese apparel factory
Sportswear giant Adidas has confirmed it will close its only company-owned Chinese apparel factory in October, as part of moves to give the firm a more consistent sourcing structure.
UK: Apparel conference to focus on 'Made in the UK'
The feasibility of reviving the UK manufacturing sector and moving garment production back to the country will be the focus of a major industry conference taking place later this year.
UK: Clothing prices drag on June inflation level
UK inflation fell to 2.4% in June, the lowest level since November 2009, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said today (17 July).
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Hungary offers a mix of strengths and weaknesses
- Freeing up working capital in the supply chain
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- Golden Lady creates a new man-made fibre
- China and ASEAN upgrade FTA
- 3D tool uses product data to shake up shopping
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015