Top stories on just-style this week...
Top stories on just-style included protests in Bangladesh erupting again, Esquel Enterprises beginning construction of a garment plant in Vietnam and the ongoing debate over what constitutes a living wage.
BANGLADESH: Apparel worker protests erupt again
At least 50 people have been injured after violence erupted again yesterday (23 July) at the troubled Ashulia industrial zone on the outskirts of the Bangladeshi capital Dhaka - a month after nearly a week of protests forced around 300 garment factories to close.
VIETNAM: Esquel Group builds US$25m garment plant
Esquel Enterprises (Singapore) Pte, a subsidiary of Hong Kong based clothing giant Esquel Group, has begun construction on a US$25m apparel plant at the Luong Son industrial zone in the northern Vietnamese province of Hoa Binh.
Comment: Apparel costing for a living wage
The vexed question of a 'living wage' continues to tax some of the major apparel retailers and brand owners. But how can a sourcing company calculate a living wage, let alone ensure its implementation? Doug Miller, Professor (Emeritus) of Worker Rights in Fashion, has some suggestions.
In the money: Under Armour looks to improve style credentials
In recent years performance apparel and footwear maker Under Amour has seen success through innovation, with high-tech sportswear lines like Cold Black and Charged Cotton driving growth by creating a new premium price point for its products.
SRI LANKA: Third USAID-backed apparel factory opens
An initiative between the US Agency for International Development (USAID) and Sri Lankan clothing manufacturer Daya Apparel has opened its third garment plant in the country's former war-torn eastern province.
Gene McCarthy, senior vice president of footwear at Under Armour, is to leave the performance apparel and footwear specialist next month....
Sportswear retailer Foot Locker has unveiled a new store concept designed for women, featuring fit zones....
- Speed to market key to Adidas 2020 growth plan
- SOURCING: Production problems weigh on Pakistan
- SuperGroup to adapt sourcing model for speed
- Cutting-edge companies focus on consumer needs
- What next for smart fabrics and garments?
- Lululemon Athletica on “strong growth” track
- Swedish textile water project to expand globally
- PVH “pleased” after swinging to Q4 profit
- Organic cotton assessment tool launches
- Apparel and textiles rank high on EU alert system
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019