Top stories on just-style this week...
Top stories on just-style included protests in Bangladesh erupting again, Esquel Enterprises beginning construction of a garment plant in Vietnam and the ongoing debate over what constitutes a living wage.
BANGLADESH: Apparel worker protests erupt again
At least 50 people have been injured after violence erupted again yesterday (23 July) at the troubled Ashulia industrial zone on the outskirts of the Bangladeshi capital Dhaka - a month after nearly a week of protests forced around 300 garment factories to close.
VIETNAM: Esquel Group builds US$25m garment plant
Esquel Enterprises (Singapore) Pte, a subsidiary of Hong Kong based clothing giant Esquel Group, has begun construction on a US$25m apparel plant at the Luong Son industrial zone in the northern Vietnamese province of Hoa Binh.
Comment: Apparel costing for a living wage
The vexed question of a 'living wage' continues to tax some of the major apparel retailers and brand owners. But how can a sourcing company calculate a living wage, let alone ensure its implementation? Doug Miller, Professor (Emeritus) of Worker Rights in Fashion, has some suggestions.
In the money: Under Armour looks to improve style credentials
In recent years performance apparel and footwear maker Under Amour has seen success through innovation, with high-tech sportswear lines like Cold Black and Charged Cotton driving growth by creating a new premium price point for its products.
SRI LANKA: Third USAID-backed apparel factory opens
An initiative between the US Agency for International Development (USAID) and Sri Lankan clothing manufacturer Daya Apparel has opened its third garment plant in the country's former war-torn eastern province.
Gene McCarthy, senior vice president of footwear at Under Armour, is to leave the performance apparel and footwear specialist next month....
This report includes new information on the latest developments in: cosmetotextiles; e-commerce technology; environmentally friendly apparel, fibres, and finishing treatments; fabrics for performance ...
Sportswear retailer Foot Locker has unveiled a new store concept designed for women, featuring fit zones....
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- Teen retail being rocked by fast fashion headwinds
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- US retailers' March 2014 sales roundup
- Bangladesh industry development moving backwards
- H&M "pushing the process" on sustainable fashion
- Adidas plans mobile phone hotline at all suppliers
- Gap issues mirror widespread industry challenges
- VF Corp eyes speed to market with China hub
- C&A warns of supply crisis in organic cotton
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Jeans in Italy
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects