Top stories on just-style this week...
Top stories on just-style this week included a report on clothing brands seeking a forum to raise concerns with the government in Bangladesh, an article on how cooler weather boosted UK clothing sales in July, and forecasts that suggest Indian textile and apparel exports could more than triple by 2020.
BANGLADESH: Clothing brands call for buyers' forum
Sweden's Hennes & Mauritz (H&M) has told just-style that global clothing brands are pressing the Bangladesh government to establish "a forum where buyers can raise concerns and discuss current topics", following waves of labour unrest.
UK: Cool weather drives July clothing and footwear sales
Clothing and footwear were the "brightest spot" for retailers in July as cooler weather coincided with the arrival of new autumn ranges, according to the British Retail Consortium (BRC).
INDIA: Textile and apparel exports seen tripling by 2020
Indian textiles and apparel exports could more than triple to US$80bn by 2020, up on the $24.1bn exported in 2010, according to research by Indian consultancy firm Technopak.
HONG KONG: Esprit appoints Inditex's Martínez as CEO
Hong Kong-based clothing brand Esprit has seen its share price soar after announcing the appointment of Jose Manuel Martínez Gutiérrez as CEO and executive director.
UK: Marks & Spencer hails wire-free bra innovation
Marks & Spencer has launched what it claims is the first patented, non-wired padded bra sold by a UK high street retailer that goes up to a G cup - with a new construction that has the "potential to revolutionise underwear."
Generally, 2013 is seen as being another challenging year for the apparel industry - although there is cautious optimism for an improved business environment. Issues such as compliance, sustainability...
Opportunities the apparel industry should focus on this year include developing strategic relationships to improve flexibility across the supply chain; a focus on adding value through design, innovati...
What should apparel firms have learnt from the upheaval of the past couple of years - and what should they be doing now if they want to remain competitive into the future? They need to remain nimble e...
Uncertainty is perhaps the biggest challenge facing the apparel industry in 2013. The economic situation in Europe and the US, a combination of rising production costs and flat prices, the pressure to...
Has the Bangladesh Fire and Building Safety Agreement (BFBSA) campaign struggled to make a mark? In his most recent Flanarant column, which was published on just-style on Friday (1 February), Mike Fla...
Jeans giant Levi Strauss & Co has seen its fourth-quarter and full-year net profit rise after a tax benefit and lower cotton prices helped offset a fall in sales....
Innovative new business models for the clothing sector can combine sustainability with a swift return on investment, according to WRAP (Waste & Resources Action Programme), a UK government-backed spec...
Women's wear retailer Cache has appointed Jay Margolis as its chairman and chief executive officer, replacing Thomas Reinckens who has stepped down....
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- Supply chain improvements to save Billabong $30m
- Nicaragua apparel and shoe firms to double in size
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- H&M scaling up living wage effort to key suppliers
- Myanmar approves first minimum wage
- US Q2 in brief: Genesco, Oxford, Sears Canada
- EU clothing buyers should brace for higher prices
- PVH “well-positioned” in China despite headwinds
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global Sports Footwear Market 2015-2019