Top stories on just-style this week...
Top stories on just-style this week include a look at the decline of the US garment industry, the launch of M&S's Body Shape jeans range, and news that UK retail footfall continued to worsen in the quarter ended July.
Comment: The decline of the US garment industry
The United States is home to the world's largest garment consuming country. Yet it has virtually no viable domestic garment making industry. David Birnbaum suggests the US Government might want to level the playing field by offering US garment producers the same benefits as suppliers located in countries with free trade agreements with the United States.
UK: Retail footfall continues to worsen
UK retail footfall worsened in the quarter ended July, with high streets particularly hard hit by wet weather, according to the British Retail Consortium /Springboard Retail Footfall and Vacancies Monitor.
CENTRAL EUROPE: Clothing and footwear markets set to grow
The clothing and footwear market in Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania and Slovakia is expected to expand to EUR14bn in 2014, up from EUR13bn in 2011.
US: Congressmen outline more Wal-Mart Mexico allegations
Two US Congressmen say they have obtained internal Wal-Mart documents that claim staff at the retail giant's Mexican unit might have evaded tax and laundered money.
The UK-based George at Asda clothing brand remains committed to sourcing in Bangladesh, even though at least 112 workers were killed in a factory fire last year while illegally subcontracted to produc...
Updated sourcing guidelines released this week by Wal-Mart have received a tepid reception at best, with industry watchers warning they are sceptical as to whether the new rules will be fully enforced...
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Supply chains under pressure as Black Friday looms
- Jordan garment sector strong amid regional unrest
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Global clothing and footwear trade to drop by 1.5%
- Cambodia living wage campaign kicks off
- Adidas has greenest textile supply chain in China
- New Balance launches first 3D printed running shoe
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Technical Textile Markets: Product Developments and Innovations - 2nd Quarter 2015