Top stories on just-style this week...
Top stories on just-style this week include a look at the decline of the US garment industry, the launch of M&S's Body Shape jeans range, and news that UK retail footfall continued to worsen in the quarter ended July.
Comment: The decline of the US garment industry
The United States is home to the world's largest garment consuming country. Yet it has virtually no viable domestic garment making industry. David Birnbaum suggests the US Government might want to level the playing field by offering US garment producers the same benefits as suppliers located in countries with free trade agreements with the United States.
UK: Retail footfall continues to worsen
UK retail footfall worsened in the quarter ended July, with high streets particularly hard hit by wet weather, according to the British Retail Consortium /Springboard Retail Footfall and Vacancies Monitor.
CENTRAL EUROPE: Clothing and footwear markets set to grow
The clothing and footwear market in Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania and Slovakia is expected to expand to EUR14bn in 2014, up from EUR13bn in 2011.
US: Congressmen outline more Wal-Mart Mexico allegations
Two US Congressmen say they have obtained internal Wal-Mart documents that claim staff at the retail giant's Mexican unit might have evaded tax and laundered money.
The UK-based George at Asda clothing brand remains committed to sourcing in Bangladesh, even though at least 112 workers were killed in a factory fire last year while illegally subcontracted to produc...
Updated sourcing guidelines released this week by Wal-Mart have received a tepid reception at best, with industry watchers warning they are sceptical as to whether the new rules will be fully enforced...
- George at Asda on responsible retail journey
- New American Apparel CEO sees solid platform
- Outlook 2015: What's happening with sourcing?
- Connected sourcing networks ease payment problems
- Outlook 2015: Challenges and opportunities
- Talks underway on Myanmar minimum wage
- Fashion brands facing strong dollar “headwind”
- Tommy Hilfiger digital showroom to reduce samples
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- C&A to boost opportunities for women in India
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead