Top stories on just-style this week...
Top stories on just-style this week include a look at the decline of the US garment industry, the launch of M&S's Body Shape jeans range, and news that UK retail footfall continued to worsen in the quarter ended July.
Comment: The decline of the US garment industry
The United States is home to the world's largest garment consuming country. Yet it has virtually no viable domestic garment making industry. David Birnbaum suggests the US Government might want to level the playing field by offering US garment producers the same benefits as suppliers located in countries with free trade agreements with the United States.
UK: Retail footfall continues to worsen
UK retail footfall worsened in the quarter ended July, with high streets particularly hard hit by wet weather, according to the British Retail Consortium /Springboard Retail Footfall and Vacancies Monitor.
CENTRAL EUROPE: Clothing and footwear markets set to grow
The clothing and footwear market in Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania and Slovakia is expected to expand to EUR14bn in 2014, up from EUR13bn in 2011.
US: Congressmen outline more Wal-Mart Mexico allegations
Two US Congressmen say they have obtained internal Wal-Mart documents that claim staff at the retail giant's Mexican unit might have evaded tax and laundered money.
The UK-based George at Asda clothing brand remains committed to sourcing in Bangladesh, even though at least 112 workers were killed in a factory fire last year while illegally subcontracted to produc...
Updated sourcing guidelines released this week by Wal-Mart have received a tepid reception at best, with industry watchers warning they are sceptical as to whether the new rules will be fully enforced...
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- Sir Philip Green blamed for the collapse of BHS
- Brexit blow to global apparel industry confidence
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Brexit Trade Focus – How a CANZ-UK FTA stacks up
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Vietnam mulls wage freeze to boost competitiveness
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- Teijin launches polyester hook-and-loop fastener
- US Q2 in brief - Carter's, Wolverine Worldwide
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Southeast Asia & Central America strategic sourcing reviews package deal
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis