Top stories on just-style this week...
Top stories on just-style this week included the EU textile industry's disappointment at the waiver of duties on products from Pakistan, and news that the deadly Pakistan factory fire was producing clothing for German retailer Kik.
EU: Textile industry disappointed as Pakistan waiver agreed
The European textiles industry has expressed concern about the potential impact of an EU decision approved Thursday (13 September) by the European Parliament, to temporarily waive import duties on a range of textiles, apparel and footwear products from Pakistan.
PAKISTAN: Fire factory said to supply German retailer
The Pakistan factory where more than 260 workers lost their lives when a fire broke out last week was believed to be producing garments for German low-cost retailer KIK, a labour rights group has claimed.
HAITI: Sae-A Trading on track to begin production
South Korean apparel giant Sae-A Trading is on track to begin production later this year in Haiti, as part of a $300m multi-stakeholder effort to help the country back to economic growth following a devastating earthquake two years ago.
EU: Plans to reinstate Burma duty-free trade preferences
The European Commission yesterday (17 September) took a step towards reinstating trade preferences for Burma/Myanmar, in a move that would give products such as clothing duty- and quota-free access to the European market for the first time since 1997.
US: Cornell University ends Adidas deal amid factory row
Cornell University is to end its eight-year contract with sporting goods giant Adidas over what it describes as a "gap" in the approach to worker rights following the non-payment of severance to workers at a former Indonesian supplier factory.
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- COMMENT: Skills or new technology?
- Who has signed the Bangladesh safety accord?
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- JC Penney share price falls on Q4 loss
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- Delta Galil open to M&A as profit grows
- Sri Lanka and Bangladesh FTA talks underway
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead