Top stories on just-style this week...
Top stories on just-style this week included the EU textile industry's disappointment at the waiver of duties on products from Pakistan, and news that the deadly Pakistan factory fire was producing clothing for German retailer Kik.
EU: Textile industry disappointed as Pakistan waiver agreed
The European textiles industry has expressed concern about the potential impact of an EU decision approved Thursday (13 September) by the European Parliament, to temporarily waive import duties on a range of textiles, apparel and footwear products from Pakistan.
PAKISTAN: Fire factory said to supply German retailer
The Pakistan factory where more than 260 workers lost their lives when a fire broke out last week was believed to be producing garments for German low-cost retailer KIK, a labour rights group has claimed.
HAITI: Sae-A Trading on track to begin production
South Korean apparel giant Sae-A Trading is on track to begin production later this year in Haiti, as part of a $300m multi-stakeholder effort to help the country back to economic growth following a devastating earthquake two years ago.
EU: Plans to reinstate Burma duty-free trade preferences
The European Commission yesterday (17 September) took a step towards reinstating trade preferences for Burma/Myanmar, in a move that would give products such as clothing duty- and quota-free access to the European market for the first time since 1997.
US: Cornell University ends Adidas deal amid factory row
Cornell University is to end its eight-year contract with sporting goods giant Adidas over what it describes as a "gap" in the approach to worker rights following the non-payment of severance to workers at a former Indonesian supplier factory.
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- US cotton production set to decline
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details