Top stories on just-style this week...
Top stories on just-style this week include news that garment firms in Pakistan face cancelled export orders following safety concerns, activists calling for an extension to the boycott of cotton from Uzbekistan and the launch of Adidas' Stella McCartney DryDye T-shirt.
PAKISTAN: Garment firms face cancelled orders on safety fears
Garment firms in Pakistan are facing cancelled export orders and problems in securing new orders from the EU and US following safety concerns after a factory fire earlier this month killed more than 289 workers.
UZBEKISTAN: Call for cotton boycott to extend to investors
Activists from Uzbekistan are calling for an extension to an international boycott of Uzbek cotton and textiles as part of efforts to ramp up pressure on the government to end the use of forced and child labour in the country's cotton fields.
Comment: Bangladesh at a crossroads
The Bangladesh garment export industry has been built on the pillars of cheap labour and reliability. But the two are increasingly proving to be incompatible - and it is now time to bring all the stakeholders together - factory suppliers, customers, government and workers - to create a viable comprehensive and integrated solution.
GERMANY: Adidas for Stella McCartney launches DryDye T-shirt
Adidas for Stella McCartney is set to launch a DryDye T-shirt, which is dyed using pressurised CO2 instead of water.
SRI LANKA: To benefit as India lifts apparel import quota
The government of India has agreed to increase Sri Lanka's duty-free export quota for apparel by 5m pieces, more than doubling the previous allocation.
Companies: Gucci Group
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
French apparel and luxury group PPR has acquired a 51% stake in designer brand Christopher Kane in order to help develop the business....
- Why have US FTA imports fallen to a record low?
- Hanesbrands sourcing to cut Pacific Brands costs
- Why China makers are moving out or moving online
- Apparel manufacturing hubs vying for business
- Multiple country choices require complex decisions
- Li & Fung divests Asia distribution business
- US looks to boost trade with Sri Lanka
- Vietnam textile sector calls for strategy update
- Aeropostale to close 154 stores amid bankruptucy
- US Q1 in brief: Wolverine Worldwide, Weyco