Top stories on just-style this week...
Top stories on just-style this week include news that Gap will introduce new fire safety standards at supplier factories in Bangladesh, a look at the new outsourcing players to challenge existing export giants, and comments from industry experts who say UK manufacturing can work for niche and high street brands.
BANGLADESH: Gap to implement fire safety plan in factories
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc is to introduce new fire safety standards at supplier factories in Bangladesh, in a move that mirrors similar measures announced recently by PVH, owner of the Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger brands, and German retailer Tchibo.
just-style management briefing: New outsourcing players challenge export giants
The BRIC countries are far from being the only emerging market suppliers for the global apparel sector - and a knot of competitors such as Bangladesh and Vietnam have long been vying for business. But there are smaller players who have been looking to grow.
Spotlight on...Making UK manufacturing work
The feasibility of reviving the UK manufacturing sector and moving garment production back onshore has been a key topic of discussion among British brands and retailers. While niche and high-end firms like cashmere specialist Johnstons of Elgin and countrywear brand J Barbour & Sons are synonymous with UK-based production, it can also be done for high street brands on a large scale, industry experts suggest.
just-style management briefing: Outsourcing with the BRIC countries
Outsourcing textile and apparel production is a necessary step along the supply chain for many large international brands which, more often than not, have long-standing relationships with manufacturers abroad.
just-style management briefing: International brands eye emerging markets
While the focus on emerging markets for the big international clothing companies has traditionally been to view them as outsourcing opportunities, there are a lot of people with a lot of money in these countries. So go-ahead Western brands are seeking to gain a presence in emerging markets, hoping to reap dividends as their economies grow.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
America's Save Our Industries Act, also known as the SAVE Act, which would give a range of Philippines-made apparel duty-free access to the US, looks increasingly likely to be implemented. And the Fil...
Apparel company PVH Corp has outlined further growth opportunities for its Tommy Hilfiger and Calvin Klein apparel businesses following its acquisition of The Warnaco Group last year....
PVH has lowered its full-year forecasts after discovering that its recent Warnaco acquisition will require more investment than it initially expected....
US women's wear retailer Ascena Retail Group has appointed Erin Stern as its executive vice president and chief merchandising officer of the Maurices brand....
As part of plans to extend the potential of its Izod brand, US apparel group PVH Corp has entered into a licence agreement with Five Star Blue to market and distribute men's denim....
The most read stories on just-style this week include Sainsbury's revealing its general merchanside and clothing business is growing faster than its food division, Lululemon Athletica warning it may l...
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- Brexit Trade Focus – How a CANZ-UK FTA stacks up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- EU and US dispute China raw materials duties
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis