Top stories this week on just-style...
Among the most-read stories on just-style this week were the strong growth in UK online clothing sales in February, the unveiling of knitted football boots from Adidas and Nike, and the prospects of a minimum wage for Burma's garment workers.
UK: Online keeps February clothing sales afloat
February was an "average" month for clothing sales, but without strong online growth the category would have reported a decline, new figures suggest.
Battle of the brands: Nike and Adidas launch knitted boots
Sporting goods giants Nike and Adidas revealed their seamless knitted running shoes within months of each other back in 2012. But in the space of just a couple of hours last week the two companies unveiled the latest in the lineup: knitted football boots.
Burma seeks minimum wage amidst labour shortage
As foreign investors in the garment sector trickle into Myanmar/Burma, local research companies and the International Labour Organization (ILO) are undertaking a study that could prompt the country's parliament to pass a minimum wage law by December this year.
Bangladesh factory checks show widespread safety issues
First findings from inspections at ten garment factories used by members of the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh have highlighted widespread fire, electrical safety and potential structural problems. But none are on a par with those that caused the collapse of the Rana Plaza building last April - and the assessments are on track for completion in September.
BANGLADESH: EU not satisfied with factory safety efforts
The European Union's representative in Bangladesh has expressed dissatisfaction at the country's progress towards improving worker and building safety in the apparel industry.
Companies: Nike Inc
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Under Armour on track with new UAS sportswear line
- Myanmar garment exports surged 20% in 2015
- EU trade ministers push on TTIP and Canada pacts
- Unravelling cotton's supply and demand challenges
- Low garment prices weigh on Cambodia worker wages
- US retailers urge action on Hanjin Shipping crisis
- Zara launches eco-friendly Join Life collection
- Brexit may hit suppliers with UK duty-free access
- Adidas unveils first Speedfactory running shoe
- Bangladesh calls for US duty-free apparel access
- Too Many Standards
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Ralph Lauren Corporation : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras