Top stories this week on just-style...
Among the most-read stories on just-style this week were the strong growth in UK online clothing sales in February, the unveiling of knitted football boots from Adidas and Nike, and the prospects of a minimum wage for Burma's garment workers.
UK: Online keeps February clothing sales afloat
February was an "average" month for clothing sales, but without strong online growth the category would have reported a decline, new figures suggest.
Battle of the brands: Nike and Adidas launch knitted boots
Sporting goods giants Nike and Adidas revealed their seamless knitted running shoes within months of each other back in 2012. But in the space of just a couple of hours last week the two companies unveiled the latest in the lineup: knitted football boots.
Burma seeks minimum wage amidst labour shortage
As foreign investors in the garment sector trickle into Myanmar/Burma, local research companies and the International Labour Organization (ILO) are undertaking a study that could prompt the country's parliament to pass a minimum wage law by December this year.
Bangladesh factory checks show widespread safety issues
First findings from inspections at ten garment factories used by members of the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh have highlighted widespread fire, electrical safety and potential structural problems. But none are on a par with those that caused the collapse of the Rana Plaza building last April - and the assessments are on track for completion in September.
BANGLADESH: EU not satisfied with factory safety efforts
The European Union's representative in Bangladesh has expressed dissatisfaction at the country's progress towards improving worker and building safety in the apparel industry.
Despite the economic slowdown in Poland, Nike Poland did not suffer a loss of share in the Polish apparel market. Like numerous other operators in the market, the company aims to overcome losses in re...
Sales of basketball footwear rose 21% in the US in the year to April, outstripping athletic footwear market growth of only 4%, according to new research....
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- VF Corp bullish for second-half growth
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- “Made in USA” company rapped for deceptive claims
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies