Top stories this week on just-style...
The most-read stories on just-style this week include news that Ralph Lauren does not intend to join the Bangladesh safety pacts, the US reaffirmed its support for Myanmar but says more reforms are needed, and cotton prices are set to slip on changes to Chinese policy.
US: Worker safety pacts "not part" of Ralph Lauren strategy
Luxury apparel giant Ralph Lauren Corporation has said becoming a member of one of two groups working to improve safety and working conditions in Bangladesh's textile industry is "not part" of its strategy.
US: Reaffirms Myanmar support but more reforms needed
US Secretary of State John Kerry has reaffirmed America's support for Myanmar but has emphasised that more reforms are needed in order to improve investment in the country.
WORLD: Cotton prices set to slip on China policy change
Changes to Chinese policy on building up its reserve of cotton stocks could create more available supply, and keep prices down in the future, according to a new report.
EUROPE: Clothing retailers set out case for EU-Vietnam FTA
A group of European retail clothing brands is calling for the elimination of duties on apparel, along with more flexible rules of origin, as part of the free-trade agreement being negotiated between the European Union (EU) and Vietnam.
COMMENT: Government giveaways stifle garment industry growth
Governments have a vital role to play in supporting the modern industrial economy, but in many garment-exporting countries this positive support is both lacking and counter-productive. Based on his work in the Dominican Republic, David Birnbaum suggests government giveaways make change even more difficult.
- Speed to market key to Adidas 2020 growth plan
- SuperGroup to adapt sourcing model for speed
- Cutting-edge companies focus on consumer needs
- SOURCING: Production problems weigh on Pakistan
- What next for smart fabrics and garments?
- Lululemon Athletica on “strong growth” track
- PVH “pleased” after swinging to Q4 profit
- Organic cotton assessment tool launches
- Swedish textile water project to expand globally
- Apparel and textiles rank high on EU alert system
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019