Top stories this week on just-style...
The most-read stories on just-style this week include news that Ralph Lauren does not intend to join the Bangladesh safety pacts, the US reaffirmed its support for Myanmar but says more reforms are needed, and cotton prices are set to slip on changes to Chinese policy.
US: Worker safety pacts "not part" of Ralph Lauren strategy
Luxury apparel giant Ralph Lauren Corporation has said becoming a member of one of two groups working to improve safety and working conditions in Bangladesh's textile industry is "not part" of its strategy.
US: Reaffirms Myanmar support but more reforms needed
US Secretary of State John Kerry has reaffirmed America's support for Myanmar but has emphasised that more reforms are needed in order to improve investment in the country.
WORLD: Cotton prices set to slip on China policy change
Changes to Chinese policy on building up its reserve of cotton stocks could create more available supply, and keep prices down in the future, according to a new report.
EUROPE: Clothing retailers set out case for EU-Vietnam FTA
A group of European retail clothing brands is calling for the elimination of duties on apparel, along with more flexible rules of origin, as part of the free-trade agreement being negotiated between the European Union (EU) and Vietnam.
COMMENT: Government giveaways stifle garment industry growth
Governments have a vital role to play in supporting the modern industrial economy, but in many garment-exporting countries this positive support is both lacking and counter-productive. Based on his work in the Dominican Republic, David Birnbaum suggests government giveaways make change even more difficult.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Under Armour defends questions over strategy
- Cheap polyester contributes to cotton import shift
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- Combating the new normal – 10 trends for 2016
- Gap deepens social and environmental efforts
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- Syrian refugee children found in Turkish factories
- China factory activity continues to deteriorate
- Key Bangladesh safety issues still not fixed
- Southeast Asia – a strategic sourcing review
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024