Top stories this week on just-style...
The most-read stories on just-style this week include news that Ralph Lauren does not intend to join the Bangladesh safety pacts, the US reaffirmed its support for Myanmar but says more reforms are needed, and cotton prices are set to slip on changes to Chinese policy.
US: Worker safety pacts "not part" of Ralph Lauren strategy
Luxury apparel giant Ralph Lauren Corporation has said becoming a member of one of two groups working to improve safety and working conditions in Bangladesh's textile industry is "not part" of its strategy.
US: Reaffirms Myanmar support but more reforms needed
US Secretary of State John Kerry has reaffirmed America's support for Myanmar but has emphasised that more reforms are needed in order to improve investment in the country.
WORLD: Cotton prices set to slip on China policy change
Changes to Chinese policy on building up its reserve of cotton stocks could create more available supply, and keep prices down in the future, according to a new report.
EUROPE: Clothing retailers set out case for EU-Vietnam FTA
A group of European retail clothing brands is calling for the elimination of duties on apparel, along with more flexible rules of origin, as part of the free-trade agreement being negotiated between the European Union (EU) and Vietnam.
COMMENT: Government giveaways stifle garment industry growth
Governments have a vital role to play in supporting the modern industrial economy, but in many garment-exporting countries this positive support is both lacking and counter-productive. Based on his work in the Dominican Republic, David Birnbaum suggests government giveaways make change even more difficult.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- Gap bullish on China growth opportunities
- US Q2 in brief: J Crew, Aeropostale, Bebe Stores
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Adidas seeking to resolve shoe supplier dispute
- China market woes could hit consumer spending
- Adidas files trademark suit against Forever 21
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019