Top stories this week on just-style...
The most-read stories on just-style this week include news that Ralph Lauren does not intend to join the Bangladesh safety pacts, the US reaffirmed its support for Myanmar but says more reforms are needed, and cotton prices are set to slip on changes to Chinese policy.
US: Worker safety pacts "not part" of Ralph Lauren strategy
Luxury apparel giant Ralph Lauren Corporation has said becoming a member of one of two groups working to improve safety and working conditions in Bangladesh's textile industry is "not part" of its strategy.
US: Reaffirms Myanmar support but more reforms needed
US Secretary of State John Kerry has reaffirmed America's support for Myanmar but has emphasised that more reforms are needed in order to improve investment in the country.
WORLD: Cotton prices set to slip on China policy change
Changes to Chinese policy on building up its reserve of cotton stocks could create more available supply, and keep prices down in the future, according to a new report.
EUROPE: Clothing retailers set out case for EU-Vietnam FTA
A group of European retail clothing brands is calling for the elimination of duties on apparel, along with more flexible rules of origin, as part of the free-trade agreement being negotiated between the European Union (EU) and Vietnam.
COMMENT: Government giveaways stifle garment industry growth
Governments have a vital role to play in supporting the modern industrial economy, but in many garment-exporting countries this positive support is both lacking and counter-productive. Based on his work in the Dominican Republic, David Birnbaum suggests government giveaways make change even more difficult.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Retailers warned of high volatility in Brexit wake
- Brexit uncertainty over pending EU trade deals
- Alliance cuts ties with three more factories
- Online fabric platform to "revolutionise" buying
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Better Work Vietnam launches labour law mobile app
- Uniqlo said to be scaling back US expansion
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Denmark