Top stories this week on just-style...
The most-read stories on just-style this week include a look at why Fair Trade USA's apparel programme is reaching new heights, an insight on how Brexit supporters' arguments will affect Britain's apparel industry, and Vietnam led apparel import growth into the US in January.
Fair Trade apparel programme reaching new heights
A fire that broke out at a factory in Bangladesh last month, and the impending third year anniversary of Rana Plaza, serves as a reminder that major safety concerns still exist for workers in the global apparel industry. But the proliferation of organisations working to offer tangible solutions proves that work is in progress, one of those being Fair Trade USA, whose apparel programme grew 358% in 2014.
Might Brexit be brighter for Britain's garment industry
The British vote on 23 June whether to stay in the EU or not. By early March, opinion polls showed voters split about 50/50, with about a third still unsure. So far, neither side has been straightforward about the effects of leaving (known as a "Brexit") or staying. Here's how Mike Flanagan sees Brexit supporters' arguments affecting Britain's apparel industry.
Vietnam leads US apparel import growth in January
Apparel imports into the US offered surprising results in January, with five of the top ten supplier countries posting declines. Vietnam and Bangladesh, however, both led with double-digit gains, while China's growth continued to accelerate.
Adidas to open 3,000 stores in China by 2020
German sporting goods giant Adidas Group has revealed plans to open 3,000 new stores in China by 2020 as it looks to become the 'best sports brand' in the region.
Primark extends India cotton sustainability programme
Value fashion chain Primark has extended its sustainable cotton programme for women in northern India for a further six years, with the aim of introducing sustainable farming methods to more females and increasing their incomes.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts