Top stories this week on just-style...
The most-read stories on just-style this week include a look at why trading with a factory directly is not always the best route to better prices and quality, the news that VF is considering selling its licensed sports group, and House of Fraser appointing Asos's global product and trading director to a new buying and design role.
Trading company or factory direct – what's best?
As margins continue to be squeezed, one question often asked by sourcing managers is whether or not to use a trading company. Surely, the argument goes, dealing direct with a factory is the best route to better prices and quality. Sourcing consultant Philip Worrall explains why this is not always the case.
VF Corp mulls sale of licensed sports group
US clothing giant VF Corp has revealed it is exploring strategic alternatives for its Licensed Sports Group (LSG) business, a move which could be the first in a larger portfolio transformation, according to one analyst.
House of Fraser taps Asos exec for new buying and design role
UK department store retailer House of Fraser has appointed Asos's global product and trading director Maria Hollins to the newly-created role of executive director for buying and design.
What are the top threats to global supply chains in 2016?
Risks ranging from cargo theft to natural disasters and terrorism incidents are among the biggest threats seen to global supply chains in 2016 – with worker unrest in China and child labour in India among specific challenges faced by apparel firms.
Four fashion brands release first sustainability scores
As they work towards improving transparency within their supply chains, four fashion brands – G-Star, Ted Baker, Vivobarefoot and Haikure – have for the first time made public their sustainability performance scores using a new independent assessment tool from European sustainable fashion consultancy Made-By.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Lenzing unveils new sustainability strategy
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar