Top stories this week on just-style...
The most-read stories on just-style this week include New Balance's opposition to the TPP trade deal, Crystal Denim cutting its garment carbon footprint by almost 20% last year, and Uniqlo owner Fast Retailing slashing its full-year profit guidance after posting a 55% drop in first-half profit.
New Balance anti-TPP stance disappoints footwear industry
The US footwear industry has voiced its disappointment that athletic brand New Balance has come out in opposition of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal.
Crystal Denim cuts garment carbon footprint by 20%
The denim division of Hong Kong based garment-making giant Crystal Group – the largest denim jeans producer in Asia – managed to cut its carbon footprint per garment by almost 20% last year across its subsidiary factories in China and Cambodia.
Uniqlo owner Fast Retailing slashes FY profit outlook
Japanese retailer and Uniqlo casual clothing parent Fast Retailing has cut its full-year profit guidance by almost a half after a stronger yen and weaker sales at Uniqlo Japan led to a 55.1% drop in first-half profit.
How to sustain cotton's competitive advantage
Cotton has an image problem. It's out of fashion with mills, brands, designers and consumers, and a global glut of polyester – cotton's major competing fibre – is encouraging low prices. So how does cotton compete in such a market? Robert Antoshak, managing director at Olah Inc, believes sustainability is cotton's competitive advantage.
Bangladesh boosts airport security after UK cargo ban
Bangladesh is taking steps to upgrade security screening procedures and equipment at Dhaka International Airport after the British government last month imposed a ban on air cargo from the country.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Where next for Corporate Human Rights Benchmark?
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- World Bank commits $57bn to sub-Saharan Africa
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective