Top stories this week on just-style...
The news that dominated just-style's headlines this week was the tragic and fatal terroist attack in Bangladesh that left 20 dead and the country's key garment industry in turmoil. Other most-read stories included a look at how to navigate the production approval process and US apparel imports for the month of May.
Terrorist attack "a tipping point" for Bangladesh?
A fatal terrorist attack in the Bangladeshi capital at the weekend has left the country's key garment industry in turmoil, with buyers rethinking travel plans and potential economic fallout for a sector reliant on foreign investment.
How to navigate the production approval process
The production approval process is the most critical but least acknowledged link in the entire apparel supply chain. Yet the keys to achieving a more efficient, proactive process are not only connectivity and communication – but also empowerment and delegation, according to a new report from just-style.
US forced labour ban requires apparel supply chain scrutiny
Renewed interest in a US law banning the entry of imported goods made with forced or indentured labour requires manufacturers, US importers, brands and retailers to scrutinise their supply chains, writes Brenda A Jacobs of Sidley Austin LLP, a Washington DC based international trade lawyer and licensed customs broker.
just-style's latest management briefing takes a look at how to set up a sustainable supply chain, financing the ethical supply chain, whether shorter supply chains are key to sustainability, and whether fast fashion is at odds with sustainability.
US apparel imports bounce back in May
Apparel imports into the US bounced back in May, with over half of the top-ten supplier countries booking growth. Indonesia led the field with a double-digit increase, while Vietnam saw a reversal from its decline last month.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Brandix rolls out Tukatech systems
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar