Top stories this week on just-style...
The most-read stories on just-style this week include a look at Greenpeace's concerns the apparel industry isn't doing enough to meet its target of being toxic free by 2020, Walmart's 3D apparel design pilot, and a look at how Central American garment sourcing is measuring up. just-style is also carrying out a readership survey on Brexit, and what happens next for the garment industry.
Where next for Walmart's 3D apparel design pilot?
For the uninitiated, 3D design and prototyping software is hailed as a disruptive technology with the potential to boost efficiency and product development workflow, speed decision-making, fuel creativity, and save time and cost. For US retail giant Walmart, it has been fraught with unexpected challenges.
Friction over chemical lists hampers Detox ambition
Environmental action group Greenpeace has expressed concerns the textile and apparel industry is not doing enough to meet its goals of going toxic-free by 2020 – and suggests part of the problem lies with "flawed" chemical lists. It has also set its sights on closing the loop as the next focus of its campaign.
How Central America garment sourcing measures up
The Central American garment industries in El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras must continue investing in growth and ensure factories are safe and ethical if they are to compete effectively against Vietnam for access to the US market.
Brexit – what next for the apparel industry? Share your views
Last month 52% of the UK's population voted to sever ties with the European Union, a decision whose repercussions have been felt far and wide. just-style would like to know how you feel the referendum result will affect the global apparel industry. Are you hopeful or fearful for the future?
Target aims for US$1bn in sales from new kids' line
US department store retailer Target Corp is set to launch its latest children's offering later this month, which is expected to generate more than US$1bn in sales in its first fiscal year alone.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Brandix rolls out Tukatech systems
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar