Top stories this week on just-style...
The most-read stories on just-style this week include China's clothing manufacturing sector bracing itself for interruptions as textile mills temporarily close for the G20 Summit, a planned 7.3% increase in Vietnam's minimum monthly wage, why a rise in cotton prices is unlikely despite tighter cotton stocks, and how Under Armour is evolving thanks to the imminent launch of a new sportswear line and a partnership deal with Kohl's.
Cotton price rises unlikely even though stocks tighten
Despite revising its forecasts for tighter cotton stocks in the just-started new season, an inter-governmental group says cotton prices are unlikely to rise significantly – despite a jump of 10 cents a pound in the last month.
G20 clean-up to disrupt China textile supply chain
China's clothing manufacturing sector is bracing itself for interruptions in fibre, dyed fabric and finishing supplies as regulators temporarily close textile mills to reduce pollution during the upcoming G20 Summit.
Vietnam minimum wage to rise 7.3% in 2017
Vietnam labour groups and businesses have agreed on a 7.3% increase in the national minimum wage – just a week after proposing a freeze on salaries for the country's garment workers. But the rise is the smallest rise since a minimum wage system was first introduced in 1997.
Textiles – the spear of globalisation and a world divided
In today's hyper-charged political and economic environment, Britain's vote to turn away from the EU may be a one-off occurrence – or it may be a harbinger of the future. Should Trump become president, the rejection of globalisation on both sides of the Atlantic can only spell trouble for retailers and their multinational supply chains, writes Robert Antoshak, managing director at Olah Inc.
Under Armour makes lifestyle push with new brand
Performance footwear and apparel brand Under Armour is evolving thanks to the imminent launch of a new sportswear line that will broaden its appeal to a more mainstream audience, and the signing of a new partnership deal with Kohl's.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020