Top stories this week on just-style...
The most-read stories on just-style this week include H&M taking action over a Myanmar child labour breach, supply chain takeaways from Sourcing at MAGIC, just-style's interview with the CEO of the Sustainable Apparel Coalition, and the ongoing challenge of cotton supply chain transparency.
H&M takes action over Myanmar child labour breach
Swedish fashion giant Hennes & Mauritz (H&M) has demanded two of its Myanmar suppliers immediately establish an action plan after learning teenagers as young as 14 have been working for more than 12 hours a day in factories near the country's capital, Yangon.
Cotton supply chain transparency an ongoing challenge
The revelation late last week that US department store retailer Target Corporation has pulled all luxury bed linen produced by Welspun Global Brands over concerns about the provenance of the cotton used in its products highlights the massive challenges the industry still faces when it comes to transparency and traceability across global supply chains.
No simple way to be sustainable, says SAC CEO – Interview
After working for the past seven years on a set of tools to measure the social and environmental impact of apparel and footwear production, the Sustainable Apparel Coalition has shared little evidence to suggest how, or even if, companies are using it. But the group is now ready to tackle transparency head-on with the roll-out of a raft of new activities and products, Jason Kibbey, CEO of the global alliance, tells just-style.
Vietnam garment industry calls for "strategy update"
Vietnam's garment and textile industry has called on the government to create a development strategy to 2025, with a vision toward 2040, in order to help firms take advantage of opportunities and overcome challenges brought by free trade agreements.
Global supply chain takeaways from Sourcing at MAGIC
From the new sourcing landscape, to increasing interest in 'Made in USA' apparel, and updates on sourcing destinations and sustainability, Dr Sheng Lu, assistant professor at the Department of Fashion and Apparel Studies at the University of Delaware, presents his first thoughts from last week's Sourcing at MAGIC trade show.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- Marks & Spencer top for modern slavery reporting
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Modern Slavery Act boosts supply chain engagement
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020