Top stories this week on just-style...
The most-read stories on just-style this week include H&M taking action over a Myanmar child labour breach, supply chain takeaways from Sourcing at MAGIC, just-style's interview with the CEO of the Sustainable Apparel Coalition, and the ongoing challenge of cotton supply chain transparency.
H&M takes action over Myanmar child labour breach
Swedish fashion giant Hennes & Mauritz (H&M) has demanded two of its Myanmar suppliers immediately establish an action plan after learning teenagers as young as 14 have been working for more than 12 hours a day in factories near the country's capital, Yangon.
Cotton supply chain transparency an ongoing challenge
The revelation late last week that US department store retailer Target Corporation has pulled all luxury bed linen produced by Welspun Global Brands over concerns about the provenance of the cotton used in its products highlights the massive challenges the industry still faces when it comes to transparency and traceability across global supply chains.
No simple way to be sustainable, says SAC CEO – Interview
After working for the past seven years on a set of tools to measure the social and environmental impact of apparel and footwear production, the Sustainable Apparel Coalition has shared little evidence to suggest how, or even if, companies are using it. But the group is now ready to tackle transparency head-on with the roll-out of a raft of new activities and products, Jason Kibbey, CEO of the global alliance, tells just-style.
Vietnam garment industry calls for "strategy update"
Vietnam's garment and textile industry has called on the government to create a development strategy to 2025, with a vision toward 2040, in order to help firms take advantage of opportunities and overcome challenges brought by free trade agreements.
Global supply chain takeaways from Sourcing at MAGIC
From the new sourcing landscape, to increasing interest in 'Made in USA' apparel, and updates on sourcing destinations and sustainability, Dr Sheng Lu, assistant professor at the Department of Fashion and Apparel Studies at the University of Delaware, presents his first thoughts from last week's Sourcing at MAGIC trade show.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Lenzing unveils new sustainability strategy
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar