Top stories this week on just-style...
The most-read stories on just-style this week include M&S cutting around 525 head office jobs, El Salvador launching a 15-year growth strategy, US apparel imports for the month of July, and a look at how Cambodia's worker wages are being threatened by low garment prices.
El Salvador to launch 15-year apparel growth strategy
El Salvador's textiles and apparel industry will set out a 15-year growth strategy in December in a bid to lift its fortunes amid toughening competition from Asian nations and neighbouring Honduras.
M&S to cut 525 HQ jobs in efficiency drive
Struggling UK retailer Marks & Spencer is to cut around 525 head office jobs – around 15% of the total – in an attempt to remove duplication, drive accountability and "strip out unnecessary costs" across the business.
US apparel imports from China surge 23% in July
US apparel imports in July booked a double-digit increase on the month before as retailers stocked up for the back-to-school season – with the biggest surge being seen by China, by far the largest supplier of apparel to the US.
Cambodia worker wages threatened by low garment prices
As annual discussions get underway in Cambodia on a new minimum wage for garment workers, a new report warns significant further wage increases will be hard to achieve unless higher prices are paid by retailers and brands.
Cotton prices seen rising to three-year high this season
A downward revision to its forecast for global cotton stocks at the end of the current season has prompted the International Cotton Advisory Committee (ICAC) to lift its estimates for average cotton prices to a three-year high.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Outlook 2017 – What else is the industry watching?
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Outlook 2017 – Strategies for sourcing success
- Outlook 2017 – Challenges and opportunities
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- 22 dos and dont's – When sourcing goes wrong
- M&S quality focus finally lifts clothing sales
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Sri Lanka on track to regain EU GSP+ benefits
- Update - Bangladesh "business as usual"
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar