Top stories this week on just-style...
The most-read stories on just-style this week include Gap Inc publishing the names of the factories which manufacture its garments, calls for garment factory safety initiatives to cover boiler safety after a boiler exploded at a packaging facility in Bangladesh, and a look at how Cambodia's garment sector is facing challenges.
US apparel giant Gap Inc has published the names and locations of the factories which manufacture garments for its namesake, Banana Republic, Old Navy and Athleta brands.
Labour rights groups are calling for garment factory safety initiatives to be extended to cover boiler safety, after at least 31 people died when a boiler exploded at a packaging facility in Bangladesh.
As efforts continue to try to rescue cargo stranded in the wake of the collapse of Hanjin Shipping, the world's seventh-largest container shipper, fallout for apparel and footwear importers and exporters remains unclear.
At first glance, Cambodia's garment sector is doing fine. ANZ Bank recently predicted 7.2% GDP growth in 2016, mainly fuelled by rising clothing exports. And just-released data from the International Labour Organization (ILO) points to a 14.7% jump in the country's clothing shipments to US$1.605bn during the first quarter of this year. But dig deeper, and it seems the overall situation of the Cambodian garment industry is less optimistic.
Cotton may be one of the most popular fibres for clothing and accessories because of its universality, timelessness, and availability – but the fibre is not immune to volatile economic markets.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report