Top stories this week on just-style...
The most-read stories on just-style this week include a look at how Asia sourcing must raise its game amid increasing global competition, the appointment of Steve Rendle as VF Corp's next chief executive, and how global buyers are still failing to pay fair prices when sourcing from Bangladesh.
US adds Vietnam textiles and footwear to child labour list
Textiles, footwear and leather products made in Vietnam have been added to a list of goods produced using child or forced labour, compiled by the US Department of Labor (DOL).
Asia sourcing must raise its game amid global competition
Growing competition across the world for clothing sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing Asian governments to sharpen their industrial policies to try to retain market share, a major international conference has heard.
World cotton prices revised again on higher production
Estimates for average cotton prices in the current season have been lowered slightly as revised forecasts suggest increased production in the US, Pakistan and Brazil will offset losses in China.
Sustainable sourcing the way forward in Bangladesh
Bangladesh's apparel makers have invested heavily in improving factory safety since the 2013 Rana Plaza disaster, but global buyers are still failing to pay fair prices and following non-transparent purchasing practices, a conference in Dhaka has heard.
VF Corp names Rendle as new CEO to succeed Wiseman
US apparel giant VF Corporation has named COO Steve Rendle as its next chief executive, succeeding Eric Wiseman who is stepping down at the beginning of next year.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- US Q4 in brief – Chico's FAS, TJX Companies
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar