Top stories this week on just-style...
The most-read stories on just-style this week include a look at why the apparent benefits of Ethiopia for apparel and textile investors also make the country a serious risk, the suspension of a further seven factories by The Alliance for Bangladesh Worker Safety, and Vietnam leading the pack in September US apparel exports.
Where next for apparel retailers in a saturated market?
The US retail industry has hit a saturation point – what Robert Antoshak refers to as "peak apparel" – where the amount of clothing that can be sold and consumed has reached capacity. So what's the bottom-line for retailers? he asks.
BRC warns on post-Brexit clothing import tariffs
Failure to strike a good Brexit deal by 2019 would have a "disproportionately severe impact" on retailers and their customers, with clothing and footwear liable to attract double-digit tariff instead of the current zero-rating for all EU imports, an industry group says.
The Flanarant – Ethiopia violence undermines 'visionary' sourcing strategies
The apparent benefits of Ethiopia make the country a serious risk – both politically and commercially – for apparel and textile investors, Mike Flanagan believes. And the partial destruction by rioters of the Saygin Dima mill illustrates all too well the short-term superficiality of too many 'visionary' sourcing strategies.
Bangladesh Alliance cuts ties with seven more factories
The Alliance for Bangladesh Worker Safety has suspended the operations of a further seven garment factories for failing to provide evidence of their remediation progress.
Vietnam leads September surge in US apparel imports
The volume of US apparel imports booked another double-digit hike month-on-month in August thanks to retailers stocking up for the back-to-school season – with Vietnam and Indonesia seeing the largest growth and Cambodia a massive 21% year-on-year decline. That said, the data also shows the volume of imports is down on last year.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- Better compliance "crucial" for Bangladesh growth
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022