Top stories this week on just-style...
The most-read stories on just-style this week include a look at why the apparent benefits of Ethiopia for apparel and textile investors also make the country a serious risk, the suspension of a further seven factories by The Alliance for Bangladesh Worker Safety, and Vietnam leading the pack in September US apparel exports.
Where next for apparel retailers in a saturated market?
The US retail industry has hit a saturation point – what Robert Antoshak refers to as "peak apparel" – where the amount of clothing that can be sold and consumed has reached capacity. So what's the bottom-line for retailers? he asks.
BRC warns on post-Brexit clothing import tariffs
Failure to strike a good Brexit deal by 2019 would have a "disproportionately severe impact" on retailers and their customers, with clothing and footwear liable to attract double-digit tariff instead of the current zero-rating for all EU imports, an industry group says.
The Flanarant – Ethiopia violence undermines 'visionary' sourcing strategies
The apparent benefits of Ethiopia make the country a serious risk – both politically and commercially – for apparel and textile investors, Mike Flanagan believes. And the partial destruction by rioters of the Saygin Dima mill illustrates all too well the short-term superficiality of too many 'visionary' sourcing strategies.
Bangladesh Alliance cuts ties with seven more factories
The Alliance for Bangladesh Worker Safety has suspended the operations of a further seven garment factories for failing to provide evidence of their remediation progress.
Vietnam leads September surge in US apparel imports
The volume of US apparel imports booked another double-digit hike month-on-month in August thanks to retailers stocking up for the back-to-school season – with Vietnam and Indonesia seeing the largest growth and Cambodia a massive 21% year-on-year decline. That said, the data also shows the volume of imports is down on last year.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Ethiopia violence undermines sourcing strategies
- Marks & Spencer top for modern slavery reporting
- Bangladesh garment workers rally for higher wages
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- H&M CEO named sustainability leader
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020